Color Variations?

Hey garter snake enthusiasts I've noticed 2 color/pattern variations in the wandering garters ( t.e vagrans) I've found in my area
    1. White doral stripe, small spots inbetween the stripes, light grey background color in-between the stripes, and a pale underbellie
    2. Yellow dorsal stripe , large spots, dark grey background color, dark spots on the under bellie
    All of the snakes I find are 1 of the 2 variation. Are they different morphs, subspecies , or is it natural variation of the species.

Adult snake

Re: Color Variations?

The species descriptions usually say background color can be anywhere from grey to brown to olive. The ones in my area are typically brown to olive and the dorsal stripe is usually a cream/pale yellow color. I know there have been reports of a melanistic and a "chocolate" morph, but I think what you're seeing is just normal variation.

It's just a different variation of them. Snakes are different depending on the area. Such as easterns, in Marnie's case, they're checkery... In other places they look different from that.
    Chantel
    2.2.3 Thamnophis ordinoides Derpy Scales, Hades, Mama, Runt, Pumpkin, Azul, Spots
    (Rest in peace Snakey, Snap, Speckles, Silver, Ember and Angel.)

How come all the ones with yellow stripes have big spots and the ones with white stipes have small spots

It must just be the colors they evolved to blend in with their surroundings.
    ~* Emily *~
    Canis lupus familiaris- Tippy, Thamnophis proximus orarius- Proximus, Thamnophis sirtalis parietalis- Tallie