Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: under tank heaters

I have removed my heat mats and then put them on a different tank with no problem. I have done it with a couple of the mats. They still stick and they still heat up fine.
    Marnie
    3.3 T.s.sirtalis 1.0 T.marcianus 1.2 T.radix 1.0 T.s.parietalis
    Izzy, Seeley, Ziggy, Perseus, Peanut, Snapper, Hermes, Sadie, Osiris, Seraphina, Little Joe

Never shed

Quote Originally Posted by chris-uk View Post
    My heatmats are all just taped to the underside of our viv floors, and I have the thermostat probe and thermometer probes on the inside in the substrate. The temps inside are fine, but I rely on the thermometers to adjust the temp rather than the temps on the stat dial.
    The larger mats also have some support under them (aka folded card) to push the middle up against the glass.

None of the mats I've tested without a stat have got dangerously hot (they get too hot, but seem to top out around 35C which isn't enough to raise the cool side or burn), perhaps it's because they are attached to the outside surface of the glass and the glass helps dissipate the excess heat.
    So far it's 94.7F/34.7C and that's without any substrate in the tank.

Quote Originally Posted by Selkielass View Post
    Depends on the brand/ type.
    I have carefully removed the super flat sheet of plastic type from broken tanks and glued theņ to new tanks w silicon adhesive, spread very thin.

Purchased a new small sort of pillowy vinyl sandwich style heater that was supposed to be ok for under or side tank application. And it got so. Hot I couldn't touch it till it cooled. I returned it and got the flat style.

Test before adding snākes.
    I got the ExoTerra Heat wave rainforest medium size it's a flat style.

Quote Originally Posted by tress29 View Post
    I had a uth rated for 10-20 gallons get over 100*, that's why I always try to use a thermostat, or at least a dimmer that I check obsessively!
    I think the heater I got is for 10-20 gallons too.

Never shed

Quote Originally Posted by chris-uk View Post
    My heatmats are all just taped to the underside of our viv floors, and I have the thermostat probe and thermometer probes on the inside in the substrate. The temps inside are fine, but I rely on the thermometers to adjust the temp rather than the temps on the stat dial.
    The larger mats also have some support under them (aka folded card) to push the middle up against the glass.

None of the mats I've tested without a stat have got dangerously hot (they get too hot, but seem to top out around 35C which isn't enough to raise the cool side or burn), perhaps it's because they are attached to the outside surface of the glass and the glass helps dissipate the excess heat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Selkielass View Post
    Depends on the brand/ type.
    I have carefully removed the super flat sheet of plastic type from broken tanks and glued theņ to new tanks w silicon adhesive, spread very thin.

Purchased a new small sort of pillowy vinyl sandwich style heater that was supposed to be ok for under or side tank application. And it got so. Hot I couldn't touch it till it cooled. I returned it and got the flat style.

Test before adding snākes.
    Quote Originally Posted by EasternGirl View Post
    I have removed my heat mats and then put them on a different tank with no problem. I have done it with a couple of the mats. They still stick and they still heat up fine.
    Okay that's good to hear thanks.

Adult snake

For those who use a thermostat anyway, why not heat cable? When I used glass vivs I would let one end hang over the edge of the stand and feed the heat cable and probe underneath. Not only could I choose a temperature with the thermostat, I could also choose which part and how much of the tank I wanted to heat.