small town of Durand,MI. which ever direction you are going out of or town you wil going uphilll

I need some help before they get here....

I am new here as you can see...lol but I have a few questions. First Id like to say that I have a garter named Pheobe and she is an Eastern Garter snake. We got her and she was a big snake... long and kinda big around. I have had garters before and them having babies is nothing new but heres my question for you all. She is pregnant and like I said that is nothing new for me to see but this time is different because I am a lot more into the garters this time around. I would like to know how to raise the babies. I would like to try to raise a cpl after they are born this time. Usaully I just let all of them go but I want to try this time. The rest will be going onto my uncles land which is big and has a river running through it. That is where we have let go of all our over the years. I want some from birth cause I never have...please help before they get here so I can study up...Thank you
    I wanted to Thank you Steve for your help with the heating pad.

I have 4 Easterns(mine: Furbie and Whiplash; moms: Diamond and Silky) all are 5 and half months old. So much fun gaters are.

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Odie's Avatar

Re: I need some help before they get here....

Hi, from Oregon, Mrs N1ntndo

Welcome.
    Babies are cared for like adults with a few differences.
    Babies are susceptible to dehydration. They should have access to a good size water dish but not one that is deep.
    Some babies are not strong enough to get out of a deep dish if the water level drops too low.
    Babies can retain their sheds more so than adults, this must be monitored.
    Food of course will be much smaller pieces. Babies should also be fed much more often than adults( babies at least 3 times a week)These are just some of my observations.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

welcome to the forum
    have you checked out the care sheet and other articles?
    Garter Snake Care Sheet - Caresheets
    rhea
    "you cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus" Mark Twain

I have a condition! RedSidedSPR's Avatar

I keep it cooler... They're easier to over heat. I prefer feeding almost every day. But I only do it that frequent because in feed them lots of really small pieces. (of fish and worms, I'll get them on pinkies soon). They tend to grow faster with frequent feeding... So I feed little pieces because it gets digested faster, so I can feed them the next day or two. Don't do that with more food though, or they'll get fat. I feed when the bulge from the last meal is gone. (or less).

Good luck, hope that helps.

"Preparing For First shed" Venti's Avatar

Right now for my water and food dishes I am using either water bottle caps or lids from plastic tomato sauce containers.

I wouldn't suggest to many heavy hides, a paper towel folded in half works well.
    0.1.3 Thamnophis sirtalis parietalis

0.0.2 Thamnophis sirtalis sirtalis

1.1.0 Streptopelia capicola