cage carpet - not safe?

now this is a first for me
    I'd just given Sammy and Thing their mice, and when I returned from the kitchen to make sure they were progressing at the same pace, I found Sammy swallowing the edge of the cage carpet
    sorry - too freaked for photos
    she was quite serious about it too and I realized that that stuff could break all her teeth if I made the wrong move
    between the spray bottle I use on the cats and some gentle prying, I got her to let go at last
    but what on earth happened there? She wasn't near that spot when she started on the mouse
    weird
    this is a step beyond my friend's king snake trying to swallow a catnip toy mouse
    rhea
    "you cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus" Mark Twain

Re: cage carpet - not safe?

Carpet is the only substrate I haven't seen one of my snakes try to swallow yet. Today, I had to intervene because one of my female vagrans tried to swallow a paper towel.

TwistidMutations

I have had them attempt to swallow a paper towel but never heard of swallowing cage carpet.thats a new one

Forum Moderator aSnakeLovinBabe's Avatar

Meh, no matter what substrate we use... we are always going to have to watch our garters... they are funny like that! Cage Carpet is great stuff... the only reason i don't use it is because i hate it when the little buggers dig it up and get under it!!!
    Mother of many snakes and a beautiful baby girl! I am also a polymer clay artist!

Quote Originally Posted by aSnakeLovinBabe View Post
    Meh, no matter what substrate we use... we are always going to have to watch our garters... they are funny like that! Cage Carpet is great stuff... the only reason i don't use it is because i hate it when the little buggers dig it up and get under it!!!
    I use velcro to avoid that it's been great so far.
    Keeping - 'Florida blue' sirtalis, concinnus, infernalis, parietalis, radix, marcianus and ocellatus.

I use a plastic litter bucket - the kind that scoop cat litter comes in - to feed my garters when I am too busy to hand feed them. There is no substrate... I merely rinse it with disinfectant after each use.

Most of my garters will eat from forceps readily, and that is my usual method, but the bucket comes in handy for hurry-up times.

KitKat
    "Acts of kindness should never be random."