I've mentioned before that I have one bi-active enclosure with a substrate of coco husk, potting soil, and humus from my mulch bin.

Isopods (pill bugs, sow bugs, whatever.) Are part of this system, but I've had my doubts about how much clean up they really do... until today!

Cranky shed last night. I noticed it this morning, but decided to wait until later to clean it out as Cranky and Trax were sunning happily, and I hated to disturb them.

I just looked in, and to my surprise saw several pill bugs out and gnawing away at the shed skin where it was in contact with the substrate and bark. In just a few hours these busy little guys gobbled down a two Inch section of shed skin.

I knew they were eating leaf debris, and that they might also clean up some wastes, but I had no idea that some would venture out during daylight for a bit of shed skin- I didn't realize they were quite so omnivorous.

It also makes me wonder how opportunistic they might get if a snake was injured. I don't want my clean up crew nibbling on anything but trash.