Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

"PM Boots For Custom Title" d_virginiana's Avatar

Snake-safe cleaning methods/plants?

So, my summer project this year is going to be a total re-vamping of my snake's enclosure (it's pretty drab at the moment, and I feel like making it pretty). I'm going to dump everything out, deep-clean the cage, and redecorate.
    I was wondering if there are any relatively simple cleaning methods to use for snakes? My main experience with this sort of thing is frogs, and the process of 'nuking' a frog cage is a pain. I've done it in the past for the snake cages, but I was wondering if a more standard cleaning method would be safe? Like maybe very diluted bleach, hot water, and a good rinse?
    I also want to try a live plant if possible. Is there a list of 'snake-safe' plants that I could find?

Re: Snake-safe cleaning methods/plants?

Diluted bleach is a very widely used cleaning method.

For glass use vinegar based glass cleaner. (Ammonia free) I use this a lot.

Banned

Since I use glass tanks, periodically I will remove everything from them and use diliuted bleach on the tank and contents. However, bleach can leave harmful residue and it's not always practical to do this at every cleaning. When I don't want to move the entire enclosure I wipe it out with a cloth dampened with hydrogen peroxide. It cuts down on germs and doesn't require rinsing. Also, between major cleanings the glass gets dirty too. For that, I agree with Wayne. I don't actually use windex. I buy white distilled vinegar by the gallon and use it straight from the container. It cleans glass quite well and even removes hard water deposits that build up in the glass from misting the tanks. Vinegar also does not require rinsing and is safe.

"Preparing For Third shed" Sonya610's Avatar

FYI using both Vinegar and Hydrogen Peroxide will increase the disinfecting power by a factor of 10 over Vinegar alone.

It is extremely effective however you cannot ever mix both in the same container. You spray one, then spray the other so they are combined and will effectively kill germs, then rinse. If you mix both in a spray bottle the mixture will become toxic after a little while.

This is very commonly used as a non-toxic disinfectant for small animal cages. I learned about it on the rat fancier boards, they all used that instead of bleach.

As a side note I recently started making my own window cleaner, it shines up the glass better than Windex.

Here’s the recipe:
    • 1/4 c. rubbing alcohol
    • 1/4 c. white vinegar
    • 1 Tbsp cornstarch
    • 2 c. warm water
    Combine everything in a spray bottle, and shake well. Shake well before using, too, as the cornstarch might settle at the bottom (and subsequently plug the spray mechanism if it’s not mixed in well).

Battle of the Homemade Glass Cleaners | Crunchy Betty

"PM Boots For Custom Title" d_virginiana's Avatar

Thanks! All of those suggestions sound way easier than what I've been doing.

Banned

Yeah, after I remove all substrate and contents of the tank, I usually wipe down the enclosure (which is just glass) with a cloth wet with peroxide, let it sit for a few minutes and "fizz", then I wipe up the excess. Then I follow up with the vinegar to get the glass nice and clear. Dry tank thoroughly before putting in clean substrate. As far as plants and rocks go, I soak those in diluted bleach water (1/4 cup per 5 gallon bucket of water) while I'm cleaning the tank, then rinse several times.

ConcinnusMan I believe virginiana may have chosen that avatar just for you! LOL.

Banned

Of course it probably had nothing to do with the fact that they are native to Virginia and the carolinas?

Quote Originally Posted by ConcinnusMan View Post

Of course it probably had nothing to do with the fact that they are native to Virginia and the carolinas?
    Yuppers. That must be it, Possum avatars are common on these here reptile forums. : )

Quote Originally Posted by Sonya610 View Post
    Yuppers. That must be it, Possum avatars are common on these here reptile forums. : )

Hehehe

Sorry Richard, just had to!
    Le Ann

"Research shows that if you're afraid of spiders, you are more likely to find one in your bedroom. I'm really afraid of Johnny Depp."