Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hi, I'm New Here!

Snake compatibility?

Hey, I'm new to this community and would like some advise on two Dekay's brown snakes that I have living with me. I had owned a dekay's brown snake in Georgia last year for four months and thoroughly enjoyed it but I let it go before my move to SC. Thankfully I was working construction in a yard and found a beautiful and large (16 inches) female brown snake and a few weeks later in the same yard another female brown snake but she is much much smaller (6 inches). I currently have the larger brown in a twenty-five gallon tank, where she is very happy. I have the smaller brown snake in a five gallon tank and she is relatively happy as well. My question is will the larger one eat the small one if I put them in the same tank? I haven't read anything on the cannibalism of dekay's brown snakes, yet I know their close relatives the garter snake can be cannibalistic if they vary in size.

"Fourth shed In Progress" slipknot711's Avatar

Re: Snake compatibility?

i keep a rather small dekay in with my big garters and they all do fine together. they should be fine, but with naything there is no gaurantee but you should be fine here is my little dekay next to Penny my eastern dekaycute.jpgdekay.jpg
    Ashley: instagram-> @ashes1187

"PM Boots For Custom Title" BLUESIRTALIS's Avatar

Wow 16" dekay please post some pics of that monster! Welcome to the forums I'm from SC too! They should be fine together, but I bet if you caught a dekay that big this time of year she's probably about to pop with babies lol!
    Bluesirtalis

I WANT THE BABIES! they are the smallest lil snakes ever

Quote Originally Posted by slipknot711 View Post
    I WANT THE BABIES! they are the smallest lil snakes ever
    A real challenge to feed neonate Storeria

Hi, I'm New Here!

Oh wow, Ashley,that's encouraging, thanks. I just put them together.

Hi, I'm New Here!

I took Lucy out to get an accurate measurement and she's in at 14.75 inches so my guestimation was a little off. I'm sorry about that, bluesirtalis! The little one is around 8 inches and I think I'm going to name her Slinky.

Hi, I'm New Here!

Lucy snapped at me twice today which is the most aggressive I've seen from her. Maybe she is pregnant? She is a lot thicker/wider than Slinky and the other dekay's brown I had before them, Brownie was his name... cute little guy grew a few inches with me... I miss him. It was Lucy's more aggressive and bold behavior that had me a little worried about putting her with Slinky.It's weird because Lucy acts a little bit more adventurous like a garter snake which is kinda cool because I've always enjoyed garters. I get earth worms and they'll dig and find them when they're hungry and the live feed aspect makes me a little nervous now that they're together. Lucy is just so intense compared to my little juvenile Slinky. I'll send some pics when I can get some cool shots.

Brown Snakes and Garters have been found in dens together in the wild. That doesnt mean to not be careful. Size matters in some situations
    Legalize it!

pictures would be great! how are they doing now?