Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help?

Hi, I'm New Here!

Help?

Hi. Last July I caught a garter snake in the wild and decided to keep it. I didn't know that the snake was pregnant. Last night, she gave birth. I still don't have a good count, as they like to hide, but I've got about 5 or 6 newborns. Now the problem is feeding them. I'm not sure what. I bought small crickets and mealworms, but so far they seem uninterested. They won't touch them. I really don't want them to starve to death, can anyone help me?

Re: Help?

Your better off giving them fish or earthworms, garters won't touch insects. You can either give them small feeder guppies in a shallow water dish or try cutting up some fish and worms for them and giving it to them in a shallow plate or such. This seems to work pretty well, and several people who've had babies has used this technique.

Roy
    Roy
    0.1 T.s.pallidulus

I concur with Roy. Live fish in a shallow dish with water ( so they'll splash a bit ) or earthworm of the appropriate size ( no red one's ), those are the best to get them started. If they've eaten once, you can try scenting with what they ate on other food items like pinkies.

Watch them if they eat, it can become quite a fight for the same food. And they'll also eat faster when they're in a group. If they see another snake eating, they'll try it themselves....

You've probably done that, but seperate the young ones from the adults.

I agree with the other advice. Follow it and you should have no problems.
    Welcome to the forum.
    Sid
    9.14 T. s sirtalis, 2.2. T. ordinoides, 1.1 T. e vagrans, 1.1 T. s parietalis,
    1.0 T. s sackenii- Peninsular Ribbon

Damn, before I wrote my resonse I thaught "dont forget the welcome"... I've got alzheimer or something

Welcome to the forum, enjoy it here

"PM Boots For Custom Title"

welcome to the forum chicken. im Lulu. you are in safe hands on this forum. it already sounds like you have been given some good advise so i wont repeat what the others have said but i hope this works for you. xxx

welcome to the forum
    may your babies thrive
    rhea
    "you cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus" Mark Twain

as they said above, no insects as they cannot digest them....also, they will not eat until after their first shed, which happens the first day or so. then, worms or feeder guppies in a shallow water dish, preferably a clear one so the movement will attract them. may be a few days before the eat.

Hi John, and welcome to the forum. You've already been given all the advise you need to get your new babies started. Enjoy it here, and don't forget to post some photos!
    James.

Hi, I'm New Here!

Thanks a lot guys. Now I'm just having trouble finding worms in my backyard. It's weird, they used to be all over the place. How long do you think they can go without food?