Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Never shed

Self maintaining tanks???

I have read a lot about keeping an enclosure clean, both here and online. I have seen a lot of frog enclosures that are no fuss no mess enclosures with dirt, plants and many other things in them that is rarely actualy cleaned out. I realize a snake is messier but why couldn't it be done with a garter enclosure? Sterile soil that is only fertilized by the snakes droppings, safe live plants, live plants in the water area for taking up waste and other self maintaining techniques that basically eliminate the need to clean very many things short of the glass once in a while and maybe a major component clean up every couple years?

Is it more a worry of possible molds and bateria growing and such or is just a LOT of work to try and get it just right? Is there other major concerns over this that I am not thinking about?

Re: Self maintaining tanks???

If you pick up a copy of The Art of Keeping Snakes by Philippe de Vosjoli, there's quite a bit in there about "bioactive substrate systems", which is more or less what you're talking about there.

It is possible to do. However, sterile soil is not possible to have but that doesn't matter, because you definitely want bacteria in it. If you have the right type of bacteria in the substrate, they'll take care of breaking down the feces. Unless you are flooding the enclosure with feces or carcasses, there shouldn't be a problem with harmful bacteria and the amount of nutrients available in the environment will limit the amount of bacteria and competition would favour those specialized in that type of environment.

As with aquariums, the bigger the enclosures are, the easier they should be to run and maintain. The biggest problem would probably be too much humidity, which would cause problems with mold and increase the risk of various infections.

As some of you may know, I ran a three month (IIRC) test last winter in a relatively small (70 litre) enclosure, that housed my viperine snakes. The substrate was a mix of peat moss, sand and leaves and the plants I used were pea plants (for practical reasons). The surface was covered with a layer of dried leaves. During this time, I made a few observations:
    - The feces were broken down very quickly. They'd disappear virtually over night.
    - The plants sucked all the excess moisture out of the soil. Presumably, they did the same with the nutrients.
    - The roots made the substrate very compact. Unlike with ordinary substrates, there was almost no loose material that could have been accidentally ingested. When I ended the experiment, the substrate was lifted out of the enclosure in one solid piece.
    - There was virtually no dust, even when I let it dry out towards the end.
    - It was very low-maintenance. Didn't need to do more, than water the plants once a month.

Iīve never cleaned my outdoor enclosure.
    Once in a while watering when itīs hot and dry in the summer,
    weekly feeding when the weather is fine and weeding very few times in a year, thatīs all needed maintenance.
    Allready waiting for the sommer
    best wishes bis bald Udo
    Breeding Redsides EGSA-Chairman

Never shed

That sounds like what i want to do. Would be a larger enclosure or obvious reasons. Thank you for the input. I love plants and having living plants in a stable enclosure with a Garter would be really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by zooplan View Post
    Iīve never cleaned my outdoor enclosure.
    Once in a while watering when itīs hot and dry in the summer,
    weekly feeding when the weather is fine and weeding very few times in a year, thatīs all needed maintenance.
    You need to post more about your outdoor enclosure.

http://www.thamnophis.com/forum/encl...1-outdoor.html

Yes, I have to think about an update
    Allready waiting for the sommer
    best wishes bis bald Udo
    Breeding Redsides EGSA-Chairman

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan-A View Post
    If you pick up a copy of The Art of Keeping Snakes by Philippe de Vosjoli, there's quite a bit in there about "bioactive substrate systems", which is more or less what you're talking about there.
    Sounds interesting.. Do you know if you can get that book somewhere in Finland? I tried looking in libraries, but no luck (as I expected...) :/

Quote Originally Posted by suklaamumina View Post
    Sounds interesting.. Do you know if you can get that book somewhere in Finland? I tried looking in libraries, but no luck (as I expected...) :/
    Yes, you can get it here: The Art Of Keeping Snakes (9781882770632) - Philippe De Vosjoli - Kirjat - BOOKPLUS.FI

I get practically all my books from there.

"Third shed, A Success" MasSalvaje's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan-A View Post

It is possible to do. However, sterile soil is not possible to have but that doesn't matter, because you definitely want bacteria in it. If you have the right type of bacteria in the substrate, they'll take care of breaking down the feces. Unless you are flooding the enclosure with feces or carcasses, there shouldn't be a problem with harmful bacteria and the amount of nutrients available in the environment will limit the amount of bacteria and competition would favour those specialized in that type of environment.

As with aquariums, the bigger the enclosures are, the easier they should be to run and maintain. The biggest problem would probably be too much humidity, which would cause problems with mold and increase the risk of various infections.

As some of you may know, I ran a three month (IIRC) test last winter in a relatively small (70 litre) enclosure, that housed my viperine snakes. The substrate was a mix of peat moss, sand and leaves and the plants I used were pea plants (for practical reasons). The surface was covered with a layer of dried leaves. During this time, I made a few observations:
    - The feces were broken down very quickly. They'd disappear virtually over night.
    - The plants sucked all the excess moisture out of the soil. Presumably, they did the same with the nutrients.
    - The roots made the substrate very compact. Unlike with ordinary substrates, there was almost no loose material that could have been accidentally ingested. When I ended the experiment, the substrate was lifted out of the enclosure in one solid piece.
    - There was virtually no dust, even when I let it dry out towards the end.
    - It was very low-maintenance. Didn't need to do more, than water the plants once a month.
    So what was your verdict? Are you going to go large scale, more permanent with it, or was it just a one time thing?

I know I never have to worry about cleaning in my window well enclosure, just the occasional pruning the overgrowth. It has by far been the best looking and easiest maintained enclosure I have.

-Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by MasSalvaje View Post
    So what was your verdict? Are you going to go large scale, more permanent with it, or was it just a one time thing?

I know I never have to worry about cleaning in my window well enclosure, just the occasional pruning the overgrowth. It has by far been the best looking and easiest maintained enclosure I have.

-Thomas
    Right now, I feel like if I ever go large scale, it will have to be with a small arboreal species of reptile. Small size to keep down the volume of feces and arboreal to keep the animal well clear of the substrate. I can imagine it working perfectly well with something like climbing species of gecko or anoles. If I were to use it for snakes, I'd make sure the enclosure would be far larger than the minimum recommended for the species.

It worked great for the short time I used it, but having had time to think about it, I have no doubt that without a proper fauna of decomposers, I would have run into trouble sooner or later.