Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    And_Lyn

Angry Flippin cat plus reptile tanks= UGH!

When we got our leopard gecko our cat decided that the tank was the cool place to sit. Unfortunately her chubby butt started ripping the screen so I no longer let her in the bedroom. She is a big "talker." She's always meowing. Anyway, she would sit at the bedroom door and meow her head off until I either distracted her or opened the door. I have no idea why it was such a HUGE deal in her little universe to get into the bedroom. Then when we got the keelback we also got a small tank for feeder minnows. Our cat about had a heart attack when she saw them. Of course she wanted to sit on the dresser and try to get them. Even though we returned the keelback we still have the feeders. We also have a fish tank on the kitchen counter that she likes to sit on. That one I dont mind so much since its a hard plastic dome thing...but I still make her get down. Anyway...we're moving at the end of the month and I want to make the little "dining room" niche in our new apartment the reptile/fish tank area. I just dont know if it's gonna work. I already know shes going to be trying to get onto the dang tanks. I especially dont want her jumping up there because I'm sure she'll knock the heat lamps off and I already know she'll tear the screens. Plus...if she somehow manages to open the screen a tad I'll have a lost snake on my hands. So today I opened the bedroom door. I figured if I let her in there to explore a bit and let her have access to where the tanks are...she'll get over it. NOT SO MUCH! Ugh! I've already had to give her a light smack on the bottom to make her get down. This is so annoying. I dont want to keep the tanks in the bedroom anymore but I guess it's unavoidable. Cats disgust me with their "everything is about me" attitude . Oh, and we've tried the water bottle method. She'll just sit there on the counter or next to the tank and squinch her eyes shut as you squirt her . It worked the first few times but now she doesnt care

Anyone have any tips before I ship her off to Timbuktu?

Re: Flippin cat plus reptile tanks= UGH!

Heck, if she wants the minnows so bad, put her in the tank(not a cat lover).
    Just so you know, minnows are bad for Garters. A little something call thiaminese. Will kill a garter after awhile. Guppies, salmon, tilapia, trout. All on the good list as long as it's not a product of China(personal opinion) Check out the "care sheet" on the home page. You'll be up to speed in no time.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

And_Lyn

Quote Originally Posted by guidofatherof5 View Post
    Heck, if she wants the minnows so bad, put her in the tank(not a cat lover).
    Just so you know, minnows are bad for Garters. A little something call thiaminese. Will kill a garter after awhile. Guppies, salmon, tilapia, trout. All on the good list as long as it's not a product of China(personal opinion) Check out the "care sheet" on the home page. You'll be up to speed in no time.

Yea...we found that out after we got them. One care sheet we found online had them listed alongside the other acceptable foods. We're gonna take the minnows back, just havent had a chance yet. But thank you for the advice

It's all about the Fuzzies jitami's Avatar

Not sure if you want to go through the hassle, but we figured out that our cat can't/won't climb or jump over a 48" high metal dog exercise pen. We were using it for the dog, of course, but noticed that the cat wouldn't go over it. You could use one or two panels as a "gate" to the dining room. Our cat theoretically *could* climb it, but won't.... maybe because it wobbles a bit? May be worth a try? Still kinda sucks, but may be better than having to keep the tanks behind closed doors.
    Tami

Oh. Because you know, it seems to me that, aside
    from being a little mentally ill, she's pretty normal.

There's been plenty of posts recently, regarding cats and snakes. As a rule the snakes don't comeout to healthy. Or even found. My dog could care less about my snakes. Don't get me wrong I'm sure they(dogs) have and will cause problems but as a rule I think a cats curious nature and stubborn attitude is a bad mix with snakes.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!

And_Lyn

Yea plus cats dont listen when you tell them no. I guess I could just shoot her with the BB gun when she jumps up there :P

And_Lyn

Quote Originally Posted by jitami View Post
    Not sure if you want to go through the hassle, but we figured out that our cat can't/won't climb or jump over a 48" high metal dog exercise pen. We were using it for the dog, of course, but noticed that the cat wouldn't go over it. You could use one or two panels as a "gate" to the dining room. Our cat theoretically *could* climb it, but won't.... maybe because it wobbles a bit? May be worth a try? Still kinda sucks, but may be better than having to keep the tanks behind closed doors.
    Hmmm I might try that. Im desperate at this point. I'd like to be able to use our dressers for something other than reptile tanks. Thanks

I'm a cop and could loan you a Tazer. Now, I'm in trouble.....
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!

And_Lyn

Quote Originally Posted by guidofatherof5 View Post
    I'm a cop and could loan you a Tazer. Now, I'm in trouble.....
    Oooh!! I'll pay for shipping!!!

Your thread reminded me of this...