Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Brumation tips, precautions, or experiences

Since it's that time of the year, I thought it would be a good idea to start a discussion about different experiences or techniques we use that relate to brumation. Hopefully we can help one another avoid common (or uncommon) problems (putting them in, taking them out, or even keeping them in brumation). Here's an example:

I used to brumate my snakes in my heated garage. It worked fine for a few years, but one time in the late fall the temperature in the garage was in the mid-50s (~13C). The outside temperature was in the upper 30s (~3C). I raised the garage door about 1/2-way up to reduce heat loss while my kids were running in and out of the garage to play. Within about 1/2-hour, the temperature in the garage dropped to about the mid-40s, and I ended up losing two of my brumating snakes. This example shows that brumating snakes are very vulnerable to sudden temperature changes.

Pass along whatever advise that you think might help someone else out.

Re: Brumation tips, precautions, or experiences

I brumate mine in the garage also....the temps stay in the 40's. Haven't had a problem...only did it one year (only had the house for 2). It's not uncommon to lose a snake or 2 (or more depending on the number in brumation). I have had a few bad years before that. I did the fridge with the molding off the sides so air could get in....lost a bunch to high humidity. I then brumated them in my storage unit in the condo I lived in...it was under the condo (basement converted to strage units). thought that would work good, but....the heat vents for the condo above it ran thru and would heat the snakes up at night.... I lost a few there too....

I should have mentioned that I checked on the snakes in the garage about an hour before I opened the door. Within 1/2-hour of closing the door, the snakes were dead. I imagine that unless it's bitterly cold outside, just opening and closing the garage door to get your car in or out wouldn't have the same effect, unless of course the snakes were near the door (I know... it goes without saying).

Now I keep them downstairs in a storage space with a concrete floor. The temp stays pretty steady in the mid-to-lower 50s.

Dutch, bold and Thamnophis-crazy Thamnophis's Avatar

Cool Re: Brumation tips, precautions, or experiences

My snakes are since yesterday completely without light and heathing. They are standing on the attic. The temperature there is about 10 - 13 degrees Celsius. In a few days I am going to put them in their plastic boxes where they will stay for about two months, depending on the weather.
    I' ve done this before this way during a number of years and have never lost a snake (or lizard) in this way.
    One half of the boxes is a bit moist and the other half is dry.
    I check on them once a week or so and when neccesary I spray some cold water in the box.
    It is always advisable to be a loser if you cannot become a winner. Frank Zappa

Hi there!

For a few days I put my 1 year old tetrataenia in the fridge. The temperature there is now about 9 ° C (~48 ° F). Next week I will lower the temperature to about 6 - 7 ° C (~43 ° F). For me it's the best possible practice because the temperature in the cellar isn't constant.

More than 1 month before I stoped to feed her. After I was sure that the bowel is blank, I started to lower the temperature by dimming the light every day. After a good week dimming the light down I switched the light completely out and put her in a box. After 3 days without light in the box by about 15 - 17 ° C (~60 ° F) I put her in the fridge.

The fridge is just for the snakes and their food. So the snake will not be disturbed to much. Every week I gonna change the water in her box. The box is filled with a lot of substrate and some moistened kitchen roll to provide enough humidity.

This is the first year I do that like this. In about 2 months we will know more about this way of hibernating snakes. I know from other snake owner with good experiences with this kind of hibernation.

Greets from the cold switzerland,
    Cyrill

You want to keep the humidity as low as possible...I kept snakes in a fridge and the humidity killed them, got the skin infections and died... Garters can be real sensitive to humidity.

I also try to keep the hibernaculum pretty dry. I've read that people have lost snakes when their hibernaculum became too moist. One guy mentioned that his moist wood chips even became covered with fungus. That can't be good for a snake's lung(s). Personally, I brumate snakes on paper towels with a small water bowl at one end and change the paper towels whenever they become too moist. It works for me.

I don't have any garters wintering over yet, but I do have a pair of L.m.thayeri that are in my basement right now. I worry about what's going on with them, but I was told by a friend to not bother them too much, but now with all that I've been hearing here.....I'm a bit worried about them. They're on Carefresh bedding with a small water bowl, but they have a tendecey to get the bedding in the bowl. I used this since I figured they'd want to burrow........is it better to just use something to cover the bottom? And how often is too often to be checking on them?

----Roy

You'll probably get a lot of different opinions on that one, Roy. I change the water and wash their water bowls every 10 days to 2 weeks, but I haven't heard of any "rule." This always involves a little bit of handling, but I try to make it as quick as possible. I just don't want bacteria to build up in their water dishes. As far as the Carefresh, I steer clear of particularly dusty bedding material that could enter their lung(s). I probably error on the side of being over cautious, but I tried using bark bedding and am even considering going back to paper towels. I wouldn't even consider bark near birth. The bark looks much better and makes it easier to clean up feces/urates, but it makes the snakes dusty and dulls their coloration... not to mention the potential effect on their lung(s). These are just my personal preferences, though.
    Rick

I think we have to differ between humidity of the air and humidity of the substrate. I entitle with you that the substrate shoudln't be wet. That have to make problems. But i think a normal (till 60 %) humidity of the air isn't harmful for the snakes. Rather I would say it's better than dry air. I've got to do some research to find the article where I read about the humidity (of the air...) and the problems, if she's to low.

Btw, the humidity in my fridge is about ~40 %. For my opinion, it's to low for a healthy hibernation. That's the reason why I put some moist kitchen paper over the substrate. So, the substrate is dry, but the humidity of the air ok.

A picture say more than my basic english words ;-)

Cyrill