Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

I want a REFUND on the hognose!!!!

Ok, you may already be thinking, this type of thing should be taken care of privately, between Kevin (amievaboy) and I. However, I think this is something that all of you need to chime in on.

This morning-- this beautiful, sunny, breezy, gorgeous Virginia morning-- I wake up and sleepily go around turning on lights for the snakes... and THIS is the sight that hits me as I turn on the hognose lights-- the female hognose, DEAD in the water dish, floating upside down!!!!!

I am CRUSHED-- this is my first dead snake-- and I've only had them a couple of months. What did I do wrong????? I'm getting all teared up and worked up... I've killed a snake, I've killed this gorgeous hognose... I run and get my camera hoping you all can shed some light for me...

And let me add right here: I don't want a refund because I think Kevin sent me a sick snake. THIS is why I want a refund:

I lift the water bowl out of the tank, camera in hand to get a close up, anything that will help you all tell me what happened-- and THIS happens:

"Hello?? What are you doing?? I was having a perfectly good soak-n-nap, with my belly up and my head hanging under the water, and you dare disturb me??"

Hello. Now... follow me on this one. I consider this to be some kind of hognose/KEVIN conspiracy to torment unsuspecting new hognose owners and frighten them out of their wits. I think I'm entitled to some kind of recompanse for metal pain and suffering, don't you???

And here she still is, having a lovely soak, right side up... for now.

Where are you Kevin??? YOU CAN'T HIDE FOR LONG!!!!! I owe you for this one buddy!!!!!! LOLOLOLOL

Erm... is this normal????????
    Lori, New Hope Rescue-- rescuing equines and others
    www.newhoperescueva.com

the red sided giant reptileparadise's Avatar

Re: I want a REFUND on the hognose!!!!

My god...that must have scared the **** out of you!
    Thank god she's okay...Don't know if it normal though!
    www.facebook.com/crazyreptiles
    welcome ( at ) crazyreptiles . eu

"Third shed, A Success"

jeesh, had me going for a bit! Im glad your snake is ok, a bit confused maybe but ok

lol ... a snake prankster!!!
    Keeping - 'Florida blue' sirtalis, concinnus, infernalis, parietalis, radix, marcianus and ocellatus.

That must have been so upsetting for you, poor Lori! Thank God she's okay!
    I guess she was just having a quiet swim/ then you go and turn the lights on! So she 'freezes'? Maybe if the lights had gone on 5 seconds later, she would have been in a more natural looking pose.
    James.

LOL!!! Maybe so... there was plenty of daylight in the room, tho, and their lights have dimmers on them, so I can turn them up and down slowly, you know? But if this isn't something hognose do just for fun, lol, then something must have scared the beejeezuz out of her. I know she scared the beejeezuz out of me!!!!! She's out of the water now and buried somewhere, so I've just changed the water and called her nasty names just for good measure...
    Lori, New Hope Rescue-- rescuing equines and others
    www.newhoperescueva.com

I would have freaked out. I kept a Western Hog for a couple of years and never saw anything like that out of her. Glad yours is OK.
    Sid
    9.14 T. s sirtalis, 2.2. T. ordinoides, 1.1 T. e vagrans, 1.1 T. s parietalis,
    1.0 T. s sackenii- Peninsular Ribbon

wow - she got you good
    I've never had this happen with my hognose, but I've had loaches, who'd convinced me of their demise
    rhea
    "you cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus" Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by drache View Post
    wow - she got you good
    I've never had this happen with my hognose, but I've had loaches, who'd convinced me of their demise
    I almost flushed a clown loach once because I thought he was dead. XD

LMAO...I take it that no one warned you that hognose snakes will "play dead"? Like was said she must have been in the water when you turned the lights on and she flipped over and played dead. Wait unti she has babies and shortly after they exit the egg and see you, flip over and pretend to die! Then you will really freak! It is very common for all hognose, they will even have "death spazums (not spelled right) If you right them they will immediately flip back over and preceed to mess themselves and finally "die". It is all very dramatic and supposed to discourage anything from eating the "sick" snake.