Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Talking New viv on it's way, advice please?

Hey,

I've just ordered a new 3ft wooden viv with glass sliding doors at the front. (picture attached)

Mishka (my red sided) is currently in a small plastic tank which is only about just under 2ft maybe. (picture attached)
    She is only 10 months and 52cm (I measured her the other day )
    I was just wondering when should I move her into the bigger encloser?
    I've only had her just over a week now so don't want to put her in too soon plus she's too small yet, isn't she?

Also I am planning on replacing the top wooden panel with a mesh lid, is this a good idea? I figure it would be easier to clean being able to remove the lid, she would get more light, more fresh air and it would be easier to attach things to and easier to make holes in for the cables etc. , obviously making sure once the cables are through there is not gaps for her to escape!

Any advice and maybe suggestions of how to set it up?
    Attached Images Attached Images

"PM Boots For Custom Title" chris-uk's Avatar

Re: New viv on it's way, advice please?

On the whole, I think she'd be happier in the larger viv. At 3' it's a little large for her, but if you provide lots of cover and places to hide I wouldn't be too worried. If she doesn't adjust to the larger viv within a few days you've always got the option to mover her back.

I wouldn't replace the lid with mesh, as long as the viv has suitable vents you should have enough ventilation for her. In the UK I think you'll find it more of a struggle to keep the humidity up around 50% - I'm making an assumption that you don't live in a particularly damp house. We use ExoTerra vivs for our snakes at the moment, and I end up covering most of the mesh lid to reduce the ventilation and raise the humidity.
    As far as cables are concerned, if the viv doesn't already have holes for thermometer/hygrometer/thermostat cables... it's easier to drill and seal the wood, as you just need to use a putty to fill the hole around the cable (or hot glue, or some other filler). The mesh will be harder to seal without resorting to tape - tape is a bad thing in a viv.

Check the gap between the two glass door panels. A small garter can often squeeze out through that gap, and believe me, if there's a gap a garter will find it. There's a few techniques for closing the gap if you need to do that.

Other than the above, anything in particular you wanted advice about?
    Chris
    T. marcianus, T. e. cuitzeoensis, T. cyrtopsis, T. radix, T. s. infernalis, T. s. tetrataenia

Quote Originally Posted by chris-uk View Post
    Check the gap between the two glass door panels. A small garter can often squeeze out through that gap, and believe me, if there's a gap a garter will find it. There's a few techniques for closing the gap if you need to do that.
    What techniques do you know?

We don't have sliding doors, but I'm sure others on here have said that they do various things, couple that spring to mind:
    - folded newspaper wedged in the gap.
    - strip of felt (I'm guessing it was something like the soft side of velcro) glued to one of the glass panels so that it blocks the gap.
    Chris
    T. marcianus, T. e. cuitzeoensis, T. cyrtopsis, T. radix, T. s. infernalis, T. s. tetrataenia

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Light of Dae's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JodiLeigh View Post
    What techniques do you know?
    I'd use either foam tape or even better use a 'foam rubber weather strip' Something like this, secured with a little hot glue and maybe cap the ends with a extra little piece n hot glue so that she can't get inside it.

That would be my suggestion.
    3.2 T.Marcianus, 1.2 T.Sirtalis, 1.0 Zacapu, 1.0 T.Radix
    0.1 Banana Cali King Snake
    0.1 BoxerXRottie Mutt

- folded newspaper wedged in the gap.
    - strip of felt (I'm guessing it was something like the soft side of velcro) glued to one of the glass panels so that it blocks the gap.
    News paper seems a bit messy and annoying also a permanent solution.
    A strip of the soft side of velcro seems like a genius idea! I will have to try this

So you say 50% humidity? My room is slightly damp but I doubt enough to maintain 50%!
    Could I not just have one hide on the cold side with some dampened sphagnum moss in it making sure this hide has a bottom to it as not to dampen the substrate?

I have ordered a combined thermometer and hygrometer so will have to see what my room is like

Also lighting (non heat lighting) I have a heat lamp but want something more for show and more consistent threw the enclosure, what type of lighting would you suggest?

I'd obviously set the enclosure out with a few hides that will be completely dark so she can hide away from the light if she likes although she seems to really enjoy the light, she often comes out when I put the lamp on and rests her head on top of the hide at that side of the tank where the lamp is

Quote Originally Posted by Light of Dae View Post
    I'd use either foam tape or even better use a 'foam rubber weather strip' Something like this, secured with a little hot glue and maybe cap the ends with a extra little piece n hot glue so that she can't get inside it.

That would be my suggestion.
    AR HA! That will do the trick! I don't know where I'd find this though and would it be expensive?
    I'll use the good ol' faithful eBay to help me out!

Thank you for that suggestion! Also what do you think about the humidity situation?

The rubber weather seal seams like a good idea.

Lighting - if you're near an Ikea try this:
    LEDBERG 3-piece lighting strip set - IKEA
    Perfect for a 3' viv and it doesn't give of heat. I'm using it for one of our vivs at the moment.
    Chris

Lighting - if you're near an Ikea try this:
    LEDBERG 3-piece lighting strip set - IKEA
    Perfect for a 3' viv and it doesn't give of heat. I'm using it for one of our vivs at the moment.
    PERFECT! That is exactly what I need! Thank you

I am actually going to Ikea with my sister on Monday as well!

How bright is it? Where have you fitted it in your enclosure?

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Light of Dae's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JodiLeigh View Post
    AR HA! That will do the trick! I don't know where I'd find this though and would it be expensive?
    I'll use the good ol' faithful eBay to help me out!

Thank you for that suggestion!
    Should be decent price... Could find it at any home building supply store. Ebay might be a good choice though too There will be different shapes n sizes I'd personally wait till you have the viv so you know what size of gap you're dealing with. As well depending on how the doors are you may want to put it on both inside / end doors. But that's kinda a what n see till you get it.

Your welcome
    3.2 T.Marcianus, 1.2 T.Sirtalis, 1.0 Zacapu, 1.0 T.Radix
    0.1 Banana Cali King Snake
    0.1 BoxerXRottie Mutt