Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    "PM Boots For Custom Title" Light of Dae's Avatar

Talking Epic Fake Rock in the making!

I recently bought another tank that will become Georges' new home. I also acquired a large sheet of styrofoam. So me being me (the creative odd ball) I decided it would be awesome to put two n two together! So here I am carving out a form fitting 'rock' to become a basking spot as well as a cave.

I should have took some pictures before starting to carve it into shape so y'all could see the process a little better but maybe next time.

This is the tank n the lid it came with that I will be making escape proof.
    100_0277.jpg

Here is the basic structure. Not done carving it yet, but it fits perfectly in the tank corner.
    100_0279.jpg100_0280.jpg
    3.2 T.Marcianus, 1.2 T.Sirtalis, 1.0 Zacapu, 1.0 T.Radix
    0.1 Banana Cali King Snake
    0.1 BoxerXRottie Mutt

"Third shed In Progress" kimbosaur's Avatar

Re: Epic Fake Rock in the making!

Neat! I attempted one of these but found that the quikrete left a layer of dust on it. I was too lazy to clear-coat it so it ended up in the trash. Cant wait to see how yours turns out though!!
    kimberly

lol I use sanded grout. You can add acrylic paint to adjust the color to your liking then I coat it with a Matte finished clear coat twice over. It's a lot of tedious work, but I enjoy it.
    0.1 BoxerXRottie Mutt

"PM Boots For Custom Title" chris-uk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Light of Dae View Post
    lol I use sanded grout. You can add acrylic paint to adjust the color to your liking then I coat it with a Matte finished clear coat twice over. It's a lot of tedious work, but I enjoy it.
    So just tile grout that contains sand, and a clear coat of sealer? And that wipes clean and is OK under a heat lamp?
    If it's that easy I'll go looking for sanded grout and clear coat. I've got ideas for structures I want to put in our vivs, nobody makes what I want to buy.
    Chris
    T. marcianus, T. e. cuitzeoensis, T. cyrtopsis, T. radix, T. s. infernalis, T. s. tetrataenia

Quote Originally Posted by chris-uk View Post
    So just tile grout that contains sand, and a clear coat of sealer? And that wipes clean and is OK under a heat lamp?
    If it's that easy I'll go looking for sanded grout and clear coat. I've got ideas for structures I want to put in our vivs, nobody makes what I want to buy.
    You got it Just make sure the clear coat you buy is a 'sealer' . It doesn't really wipe clean as its really rough textured but I bought a baby toothbrush and use that dry first to flake off everything, then use a weak vinegar water mix with the toothbrush and do a good clean It is easy though.

I'm considering making lots of these and selling them round here because like you said, nobody makes what you want, so I think there's a good market for my creations.
    0.1 BoxerXRottie Mutt

Wow...I wish I had the patience for making creative things like that. I just don't. I'm too ADHD. It looks like a great project and I'm excited to see the end result!
    Marnie
    3.3 T.s.sirtalis 1.0 T.marcianus 1.2 T.radix 1.0 T.s.parietalis
    Izzy, Seeley, Ziggy, Perseus, Peanut, Snapper, Hermes, Sadie, Osiris, Seraphina, Little Joe

"PM Boots For Custom Title" chris-uk's Avatar

I threw away a huge sheet of polystyrene recently because I didn't have a good use for it. It would have filled all the vivs we have at the moment.
    Chris
    T. marcianus, T. e. cuitzeoensis, T. cyrtopsis, T. radix, T. s. infernalis, T. s. tetrataenia

"Preparing For Third shed"

i was less creative and bought a cave which she uses as a basking spot as well hopefully your project ends well Its looking good though.
    John !
    " A snake is only as calm as its handler "

0.1 - T.s.parietalis

Yeah...I have a neat little rock cave hide that my snakes love that I bought...it is very small compared to what you are building, Dae...and like I said, I bought it...I did not build it....no creativity here .
    Marnie
    3.3 T.s.sirtalis 1.0 T.marcianus 1.2 T.radix 1.0 T.s.parietalis
    Izzy, Seeley, Ziggy, Perseus, Peanut, Snapper, Hermes, Sadie, Osiris, Seraphina, Little Joe

I put the first layer of grout on, I'll have enough grout for this one, but I think next one I make I'll experiment with un-sanded grout. It is very frustrating to apply the sanded grout... Maybe Ill use un-sanded grout then for the last coat add sand of my own... I think that will be way easier. I've already got plans for my next creation Also started sewing on mesh to the tank lid so that it is secure... Man does it ever hurt when a strand of the metal mesh stabs into your skin!! I'll be sewing up all those sharp ends for sure! lol Looks like my hands have measles, I should be more careful eh?

Here it is so far, you can see Georges' tank will be considerably larger then it is now lol This 'rock' will not fit in his current home! Yet it leaves lots of room in his new tank.
    100_0394.jpg100_0397.jpg
    0.1 BoxerXRottie Mutt