Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast
    the red sided giant reptileparadise's Avatar

And then there was a new morph?

Okay, here goes… First something about the background of the breeders...

Female lineage
    In 2005 our only wildcaught female parietalis gave birth to a wonderful litter of 26 perfect young. They grew rapidly and almost all got sold. We held back one male as we were in desperate need of an extra male. This male was from that moment on called `F1` (Remember this name…)
    In 2009, F1 was mated with a very dark, normal female which we bought as a young male (but obviously proved out otherwise…). Later on, we realized that due to the wrong sex, the bad state the girl was in, and the colors, that she might be a wildcaught female as well. This female is called DONKER. In short, F1 X DONKER which then created a beautifull litter that was almost entirely sold. We held back one female, a sister to fawn (@ Greg) which we then called PARIETALIS HOLDBACK

Male lineage
    In 2002, we got a high red female Thamnophis sirtalis parietalis which had a special look to her. Her belly was orange/black and the amount of red on her back was amazing. We felt we had to do something and started linebreeding with the reddest males possible. She was bought in a petstore and I (Sjoerd) later started working for the wholesale that supplied this petstore. All animals supplied where wildcaught! In 2010, we bred F1 to this female and got a litter of 56! Of this litter, we held back one animal. VERY red and with an orange belly once again…. We called this guy Arthur
    This spring, we’ve bred ARTHUR (cb2010) X PARIETALIS HOLDBACK (cb2009) and got following results
    18 live, healthy looking young
    4 slugs
    1 two headed, deformed young
    Of the 18 live young, 13 appear normal/ high red and five of them appeared to be silverish/anerythristic….

Have a look at the photo’s and see for yourself… There is NO known anery lineage in this breeding and by the looks of it, they don’t look like normal anery’s…. Perhaps some kind of hypo anery (due to the high red/hypo breedings?????)
    See for yourself and we hope to update /testbreed this lineage in a year or 2/3….
    No worries, it’s a bit a babyshed… gone now...

www.facebook.com/crazyreptiles
    welcome ( at ) crazyreptiles . eu

"PM Boots For Custom Title" BUSHSNAKE's Avatar

Re: And then there was a new morph?

you familiar with the anery type b(missing reds and yellows,aka charcoal) in cornsnakes? I think thats very similar to what you may have.

thats similar to Scott's "golden" red side. really nice! Scott's came from a w/c female I got in Kansas...have seen a couple with no red in Kansas.....I really need to get back there

the red sided giant reptileparadise's Avatar

Cheers guys!

Yeah, familiar with those and might indeed be some kind of anery type B animal..... So far, not quite like Scotts golden red sided as the dorsal is completely different. But, only thing we can do now is wait and see how they will look in a few sheds time....

Got a feeling they will get lighter/brighter..... as with all our parietalis so far
    www.facebook.com/crazyreptiles
    welcome ( at ) crazyreptiles . eu

Banned

I'm thinking "b" anery myself. you can even see where red should be on the sides, but instead you get light spots as if pigment is missing. erythrin (red) pigment doesn't always appear red. it can include yellow/orange which is missing from the stripes. it doesn't have to be simple recessive or dom/codom either. it can be polygenic. i know that when i breed concinnus' from different locales together, polymorphism produces surprising results and often i end up with young that look different from snakes found at either location.

Great looking snakes.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

Smells Like Teen Spirit Invisible Snake's Avatar

That would be awesome if you produced a new morph

They are very pretty.
    Marnie
    3.3 T.s.sirtalis 1.0 T.marcianus 1.2 T.radix 1.0 T.s.parietalis
    Izzy, Seeley, Ziggy, Perseus, Peanut, Snapper, Hermes, Sadie, Osiris, Seraphina, Little Joe

"PM Boots For Custom Title" BUSHSNAKE's Avatar

you got 5? if you ever part with one id be interested.

Very cool!!!