Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Newborn feeding strategy

I thought I share a new perspective I have on feeding newborns. First, these observations are for my radixes, only.
    In the past, I would remove newborns from their enclosures putting them in a small container with their food. This seemed to work well but some snakes struggle to start eating.
    I’ve been thinking for quite some time that this way of feeding put a lot of stress on the newborn snake.
    With this latest group of radixes I have employed a different strategy.
    Now, I leave the snake in its new home and allow them to even eat inside their hide. It appears to be working very well. I have more newborns eating now and in a shorter amount of time than ever before. I have even started feeding them 3 times a day. Those that are full won’t eat and it gives the shyer, less aggressive snakes more of a chance to eat without that constant harassment. I always observe my newborns while they eat and have seen much more interest in food from the non-eaters and the slower eaters. Just thought I would pass these observations along.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

Re: Newborn feeding strategy

I always feedind neonates in their enclosure, I have found that lifting them in and out can stress them and stop them eating.
    I split new groups of neonates into smaller, more manageable groups, then simply feed them in situ, under close supervision, only lifting them out to clean the enclosure. This way I rarely have a non-feeder.
    James.

Forum Moderator aSnakeLovinBabe's Avatar

I feed my neonates with my own technique I call speed feeding. When they are first born, I feed them by offering food in the enclosure. I never take them out. Once they are steadily eating without any hesitation, I switch to the speed feed method. I cut up the food into pieces so that one piece will perfectly fill a little snake tummy. I quickly stick the food item in front of a baby and allow him to grab it and start eating. Once he's got a good grip, I still have a hold of the food item with the tongs and simply quickly pick up my hand and transfer the little snake, still hanging onto his food into the "swallowing" bucket. You have to do it quickly and confidently, and 99% of the time, in their eating frenzy they don't even notice. I very rapidly keep stuffing more faces and transferring them into the swallowing bucket. As soon as any in that bucket finish, I grab them and put them in the "finished" bucket. My finished bucket ued to have some water in it to rinse them off, but i don't do that anymore because being wet allows baby garter snakes to climb plastic and glass like geckos.

Doing it this way, I can get a large number of baby snakes fed VERY quickly and without a single fight, because the swallowing ones are separate from the ones who have yet to eat, or whom have finished their piece. This allows me to keep babies in larger groups, and everyone gets a fair share.

In the end, i find that this technique has an added benefit, the babies are exposed to more drama at feeding time, and become accustomed to sudden movements and are not nearly as likely to drop their food and freak out as the ones I would feed on dishes in the cages. It also helps me get them accepting varieties of food, once they learn that the tongs present the food, garters will often try things they would not try off of a dish. My adults would probably curiously bite at brocolli if I offered it to them from my tongs!!

I plan to film me doing this this coming season!!! (the speed feeding, not the offering of brocolli!!)
    Mother of many snakes and a beautiful baby girl! I am also a polymer clay artist!

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Snake lover 3-25's Avatar

thanks for the ideas guys! i'm sure all of these will be helpful
    S h a n l e y
    1.3 eastern garters
    1 midland painted turtle
    1 bernese mountain dog
    1 half siamese cat

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Jeff B's Avatar

Shannon, that actually sounds like an excellent, organized and well thought out and orchestrated technique. Of course, I keep mine in seperate deli cups and hand feed with tongs, once they are trained and have a rapid feeding response to the lid being opened, I can usually go from cup to cup, only spending about 10-20 seconds or less on each snake including writing on the lab tape on the lid the date and what they ate in short-hand, that is my speed version, but your system sounds like an excellent way to keep track of who is eating and who is not when housing multiple youngsters togather, of course Steves method might also actually keep them more comfortable (less stress) and feeding well too, however I am an anal records keeping scientist, so I couldn't do that without being able to know excatly who ate when and documenting it, (God I'm a freak, when you actually think about it, but I can't help it, I have been programmed to do a job for the government, like an unbiased robot ) To each their own, whatever works for YOU is always the best way for YOU (us all)

Forum Moderator aSnakeLovinBabe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff B View Post
    Shannon, that actually sounds like an excellent, organized and well thought out and orchestrated technique. Of course, I keep mine in seperate deli cups and hand feed with tongs, once they are trained and have a rapid feeding response to the lid being opened, I can usually go from cup to cup, only spending about 10-20 seconds or less on each snake including writing on the lab tape on the lid the date and what they ate in short-hand, that is my speed version, but your system sounds like an excellent way to keep track of who is eating and who is not when housing multiple youngsters togather, of course Steves method might also actually keep them more comfortable (less stress) and feeding well too, however I am an anal records keeping scientist, so I couldn't do that without being able to know excatly who ate when and documenting it, (God I'm a freak, when you actually think about it, but I can't help it, I have been programmed to do a job for the government, like an unbiased robot ) To each their own, whatever works for YOU is always the best way for YOU (us all)
    Thanks jeff! I will say that the nice thing about doing it that way is the fact that since they are exposed to so much going on at such an early age, as they grow up it consistently produces GOOD, strong, feeding responses with zero hesitation and plenty of confidence. if there is one thing that bothers me, it's when a garter snake is really shy and reluctant at feeding time. I like my snakes to feel confident when taking a meal. My baby snakes are some of the most confident little buggers around! (maybe its why Radish STILL occasionally grabs a finger and dangles from it relentlessly trying to eat it in mid-air, even if there's no food smell on it!)
    Mother of many snakes and a beautiful baby girl! I am also a polymer clay artist!

Got a question.... on the chance that my lady is pregnant.... what do you feed baby checkered? When I got both of my snakes they were already big enought for pinkie mice and feeder fish. Little dude is picky and will not take the food if it is moving.... he won't even huunt the fish out of the water bowl... so for him I just place the pinkie on the plate and when I get them fish I will put one or two of them on the plate for a treat for him... now Hudina is my huntress.

The babies shouldn't be a problem feeding. I work with only radixes so I can't speak for newborn checkereds but cut-up worms, guppies, salmon, pinky tails and feet should work fine. I try to find what they like and offer change once they have a good start. In my opinion getting their digestive and other systems working is very important. I feel the longer they go without eating the less likely they are to start.
    Babies are so cool, I wish you great success.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

thanks... i think that i will have to work with fish first...... I have tried worms with the female checkered and she gave me the worst look of disgust.... (and you want me to eat what?) I swear that I could have heard her say that.

Has anyone heard of scenting pinkies with tuna fish water? (the water from the can of tuna) For some reason Hudina and Little Dude love it and I was wondering if they are just weird, or if anyone else has ever done anything like that.

Quote Originally Posted by k2l3d4 View Post
    Has anyone heard of scenting pinkies with tuna fish water?
    I've heard about it. There's a lot of salt in it so I wouldn't use more than is absolutely necessary.