Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: my first garter

"First shed In Progress" twostripes42's Avatar

my first garter

ok so i got my first garter snake yesterday she ( i think ) is wild caught by me and is pretty big (2 or 3 feet) i think its an eastern but not sure i cut some big earth worms in half and put them in this little food she wont eat them im thinking it just cuz shes not used to her new encloser but im not sure i can handle her but shes really nippy i just need some tips on care and feeding i also put some slugs in there so can any one help please? and if u can identify her that would be great thanx
    140.jpg

139 - Copy - Copy.jpg

Subadult snake

Re: my first garter

She looks like an eastern to me.
    and she is pretty big lol
    U shoould leave her alone for a week and the ontly interaction should you changing the water
    Shell be fine without food for that long
    also how bigs the tank?
    L. Hondurensis 0.0.1
    Jack Russel 1.0
    125 gallon Saltwater Tank

It's all about the Fuzzies jitami's Avatar

Welcome. She's very pretty. You're definitely going to want to let her settle in for a week or so. What type of area was she found in? Near water? She may be a fish or rodent eater. Most love worms, but not all, and being that she's a big girl she may be used to something a bit 'meatier'... or not That's part of the fun (sometimes frustrating) game of figuring them out.
    Tami

Oh. Because you know, it seems to me that, aside
    from being a little mentally ill, she's pretty normal.

I have a condition! RedSidedSPR's Avatar

Welcome!

Eastern. No doubt.

Give her some time before too much handling, let her settle in.

I doubt shell go for the slugs. Try earthworms or nighcrawlers (no trout worms/ red wrigglers) or fish.

Ditch the gloves. Garter snake bites are nothing, and handling her with your hands will help her get used to you and not bite. If she does bite, try not to jerk sways or you'll hurt her teeth.

Good luck, keep us posted!

small town of Durand,MI. which ever direction you are going out of or town you wil going uphilll

my Pheobe looks about her big. And I give her just whole worms and not cut thm. I give her the huge ones too. Also I agree that u should just wait a while and let her get used to things. Shes pretty.
    I wanted to Thank you Steve for your help with the heating pad.

I have 4 Easterns(mine: Furbie and Whiplash; moms: Diamond and Silky) all are 5 and half months old. So much fun gaters are.

Welcome and congrats on the new garter! Letting her get settled is the most important thing. All my snakes eat pinkies, and worms. I give small chunks of salmon as a treat once in a while and use it to scent when needed. I have Pugets and Northwesterns. Good luck and please keep us posted!
    Kat
    2.2 T.s.pickeringii, 0.4.7 T.ordinoides 1.1 T.marcianus 1.1 T. radix 1.0 T.s.parietalis 1.2 Pseudacris regilla

"PM Boots For Custom Title" d_virginiana's Avatar

Yeah, try not to handle or disturb her until she starts eating. Put some nightcrawlers in a shallow dish and just leave them there and see if she'll eat them. If you can't get her to eat those, if you can get a sort of deep water dish and put a few bait minnows (try to get silver ones rather than red ones if you can) in there, that might work. Minnows normally aren't recommended because they can carry a heavy parasite load, but since yours is wild caught she's probably been eating prey with parasites.

Also, can you post a pic or describe the enclosure? You can do some things to make them feel more relaxed. Congrats on the new snake!
    Lora

3.0 T. sirtalis sirtalis, 1.1 T. cyrtopsis ocellatus, 1.0 L. caerulea, 0.1 C. cranwelli, 0.1 T. carolina, 0.1 P. regius, 0.1 G. rosea, 0.0.1 B. smithi, 0.1 H. carolinensis

she poops alot and now shes in shed so it looks like shes eating and growing but she didn't touch any food shes calmed down alot and shes in a 45 gallon tank my friend said try feeding her FT guppys and minnows so i did but she didn't want them ill just leave her alone for now thanks for the help and if anyone can help me with a name it would be appreciated

she in a 45gallon tank heres some pics 168.jpg 169.jpg 170.jpg anything i should add and the wight thing is a hide but it is now covered in dirt so it doesn't look so white
    thanks for all the advise its soooo helpful

Quote Originally Posted by twostripes42 View Post
    she in a 45gallon tank heres some pics 168.jpg 169.jpg 170.jpg anything i should add and the wight thing is a hide but it is now covered in dirt so it doesn't look so white
    thanks for all the advise its soooo helpful
    the tank is much bigger than it looks