Thread: plastic tubs

"Preparing For First shed" big J's Avatar

plastic tubs

what does everybody think about tubs vs aquariums. Tubs limit your vision and a tub rack would be less expensive to build. Aquariums are much nicer looking but can get a bit pricey. I'm am not good at working with wood either.
    livin it reptile and loving every minute of it

Re: plastic tubs

Hoenstly don't like tubs........they're kind of hard to light properly (I'm a large proponent of lighting for garters) and visually they're not really appealing and I really like to be able to watch my garters. I understand about the costlyness of tanks, but I'd check classified sections of the paper or hit yard sales. I've gotten some really good deals on both fronts. Also, if there are any herp shows near you, sometimes you can get tanks that are just for herps. They're lighter and cheaper, but you can't fill them with water....but with garters this shouldn't be a concern. Hope this helps.
    Roy
    Roy
    0.1 T.s.pallidulus

yes
    not only can you not observe the snakes, but almost equally important with garters: they cannot watch you and they really like to see what's going on
    plus all the other problems with heating and lighting
    I think they're okay temporarily
    rhea
    "you cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus" Mark Twain

"Preparing For Fourth shed" Sputnik's Avatar

When my garter babies were first born I kept them in a plastic tub (fully furnished though ) and that was ok for a little while. But I did miss not being able to see them properly. The only reason why I kept them like that, was that the holes in the starter tank were too big and I was concerned the babies would escape. In the plastic tub I was able to choose the right size hole to drill.

"Third shed, A Success" ScimitarX's Avatar

We keep a lot of snakes in tubs, mainly kings, but a couple of small bos and my old checkered. They are doin really well in tubs, seem to really like being in them, they eat better than they did in proper vivs, not saying that they didnt do well in vivs, certainly seems to help with picky eaters.
    Claire

I only use proper vivs. To me the whole point of keeping snakes is so that I can see them.
    James.

I don't have anything against tubs, as long as they are big enough for the snake that is supposed to inhabit it. I kept my corn in one for a while, but it was because my building project wasn't finished yet.

But I do dislike them because they're not completely clear. They're practical sometimes, but not especially nice looking.

I keep mine in tubs...got so many!!!! Lighting isn't a problem for garters...mine have done fine for years....it's all a matter each keepers preference.....

"Preparing For First shed" big J's Avatar

as of right now I have my 5 garters in glass viv. and a ball python in a tub. to be honest with you I see problems in both and advantages in both.I guess I will have to ake this choice on my own. thanks for all the help guys You always come through.
    livin it reptile and loving every minute of it