Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Eating Problem: My Garter's off her feed

I have a 7+ year old female plains garter that won't eat. I inherited her so i'm relatively new to keeping a snake.

when i got her last July, she was a regular eater of mice, and rat pups and ate regularly. I fed her immediately and she ate.

Since july, she has shown no interest in eating, and has refused 5 or 6 mice since then.

she's fairly active and only recently looks like she's losing weight. I know they can feed infrequently but 3 months i figured she must be hungry now.

the process of feeding is unchanged from the previous owner, she has a smaller container i transfer her to to eat. she is used to being placed in the container with a mouse waiting, but the last time i fed her i put her in the container first and then presented the mouse and she ait enthusiastically.

ambient temperature is around 22c in the tank and she is active during the day.

I have read the forum a fair bit and have read some reasons they're off food can be they're ready to shed, or because its autumn it's preparing to hibernate.

or she's just become a fussy eater. I have been putting off changing food up to worms in case she's difficult puting her back onto mice.

she has not been allowed to hibernate for several years, if ever.

I have also read she could have picked up a parasite, but given she's been healthy and i keep her tank clean i think its unlikely, is there any way to diagnose or treat without a vet?

her tank is not the largest but its within the recommended sizes, its a little longer than her full length and about half as wide.

thats all i have for now, I'd hate after years of happy existence to think i'm not taking good care

any insights would be appreciated.

that's all i have for now,

Re: Eating Problem: My Garter's off her feed

I would give worms(night crawlers) a go. T. radix is usually a very hardy eater, eating multiple foods. How is the tongue flicking, alertness, movement, any excessive soaking? What does any poop look like? Any photos would be great and helpful.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

I'd strongly suggest giving a hot spot of 80-84F 26-28C.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!

"PM Boots For Custom Title" BLUESIRTALIS's Avatar

I would agree with steve, maybe try some other food sources. I would offer some nightcrawlers or try scenting the mice with fish or worms. Do not buy the worms that say trout worms, panfish worms, red worms or red wigglers as most worms sold under these names are toxic. I would offer a hot spot as well. This is the time of year when garters can become a little finicky.
    Quote Originally Posted by guidofatherof5 View Post
    i would give worms(night crawlers) a go. t. Radix is usually a very hardy eater, eating multiple foods. How is the tongue flicking, alertness, movement, any excessive soaking? What does any poop look like? Any photos would be great and helpful.
    Bluesirtalis

"Preparing For First shed"

How is your snake doing now?

Well, time passed. She started eating just fine now a year on i'm a little concern about her weight. i've been feeding every2-3 weeks or so and weighing her to track, she swings from a bottom of 188 grams to 214.

Last time i fed her she was 207. I'm not sure what hte right weight would be but ayeballing her tells me around 200 looks rather healthy.

Now the concern is even though i fed her a month ago, shes still pretty active and has a bulge in her belly as if i just fed her.

I don't want to overfeed her, but not sure how long between feedings is appropriate. I know in the wild they can go long periods between feedings, but i don't want it to be stressed by starving her?

I would suggest a Vet take a look at that soon.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!

thanks

any idea what it may be?

My guess would be a tumor. Might also be a swelling around the heart although I think it's to low for that. In any event, a Vet should be able to make the call. Best of luck please keep us posted on this situation. Good looking radix by the way.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!