Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    "Preparing For First shed"

Caught in the drain

I feel bad that this even happened and I couldn't find anything related in the search.

Today I was letting Matt swim in the sink like I sometimes do and she decided to go into the top drain (not the real drain which I always close, but the one at the top for when the water gets too high..never thought about it so it wasn't closed).

I knew if she went fully into it she would be lost forever and probably die so I acted quickly and grabbed her at once...she was about three inches (seven cm) into it. Once she was in it was very hard to pull her out though. She's very stubborn and it took some force. I tried to be careful.

I don't think she was injured. Some flakes of something started coming out when I finally got her to budge and I thought maybe it was parts of her scales, but now think it was probably just dirt and grime from the drain. I've examined her and blotted her repeatedly with a paper towel and there's no blood or breakage in her skin.

Any advice at all in regards to this matter? How to make sure she's OK (she has been moving around normally and seems to be the same) or anything else...like if there's an easy fix to make the snake let go when they get into an area that you don't want them to go. Anytime she latches onto something it always seems to be an ordeal to bring her back to safety, though nothing as scary as this time.

Re: Caught in the drain

I'm going to let more experienced members take this one...I'm glad that she didn't disappear into the drain and that you got her out though...if worse comes to worse is there a vet near you that will see reptiles?
    Marnie
    3.3 T.s.sirtalis 1.0 T.marcianus 1.2 T.radix 1.0 T.s.parietalis
    Izzy, Seeley, Ziggy, Perseus, Peanut, Snapper, Hermes, Sadie, Osiris, Seraphina, Little Joe

The Humane Society in NYC has a reptile clinic. I've never taken her yet.

I'm glad she didn't get stuck in the drain too, I would've been so sad. I'm glad she seems OK now, just don't want something similar to ever happen again.

Wait for another member on here to tell you how to check her and if she then seems like she needs care take her to the reptile clinic...and just be extra careful in the future...not to make you feel bad because I know you're feeling awful and scared right now and you didn't know the drain was open...might be best though to let her swim in a big bowl or bucket instead .
    Marnie
    Izzy, Seeley, Ziggy, Perseus, Peanut, Snapper, Hermes, Sadie, Osiris, Seraphina, Little Joe

If everything seems fine with your snake then don't worry about it unless a problem should arise.

Meanwhile get one of these handy basins at a local store, they are cheap and plenty big enough for a garter snake to swim in. Bets insurance policy ever, keep snakes away from places where they can find trouble to get into.

Lol...that is an emesis basin...but good advice Wayne. Yes...anything like that is much better for the snake to swim in!!! I have some of those...I think I'll let my snakies have a little swim today.
    Marnie

Glad you didn't loose her.
    Watch her over the next few days for anything unusual.
    That's about all you can do at this point.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

Thanks a lot. I'll be more careful now.

"PM Boots For Custom Title" d_virginiana's Avatar

If she's moving around and acting normally I wouldn't worry about it. Just keep an eye on her for a few days.

When a snake decides it wants to hang onto something the only way to get them to stop is for the snake to decide they don't want to hold onto it anymore
    Lora

3.0 T. sirtalis sirtalis, 1.1 T. cyrtopsis ocellatus, 1.0 L. caerulea, 0.1 C. cranwelli, 0.1 T. carolina, 0.1 P. regius, 0.1 G. rosea, 0.0.1 B. smithi, 0.1 H. carolinensis