Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Never shed

Dry skin - doesn't look like typical shedding

Hi all,

Lucy (my garter - I've had her since she was a baby, 3.5 years ago) has what looks like dry skin. A few weeks ago, the top of her head looked dry and I expected that she was starting a shed. Usually, she soaks in her water bowl and within a weeks or so, she looks very dull all over, then her eyes turn blue and she sheds beautifully - always in one piece. But this is different.

Her body looks like it has dry skin. It does look dull but it also looks crumbly, flaky. Other than that, she seems fine. She's eating great. I attached a few pictures. It's a little hard to see, you have to look closely. It looks like dry skin - speckly white all over her. With the picture of her face, you can see that it starts on the back of her head.

Thanks (in advance) for all your help.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Dry skin - doesn't look like typical shedding

Have you tried putting her in a shed box? What about giving her a warm bath?
    When did she shed last.

Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

"PM Boots For Custom Title" chris-uk's Avatar

I'd go with Steve's suggestion of a bit of time in a shed box and see if that helps. The skin doesn't look like anything I've sent, but then I'm relatively new to this, but I have dealt with a retained shed and your photos don't look like my girl did then.
    Are there any changes to your environment recently? Assume after 3 years you're used to controlling things like humidity in the viv?
    Chris
    T. marcianus, T. e. cuitzeoensis, T. cyrtopsis, T. radix, T. s. infernalis, T. s. tetrataenia

My first guess would be retained shed but Chris says it doesn't look like that. I have no idea. Her head looks like a retained shed though, doesn't it?
    Marnie
    3.3 T.s.sirtalis 1.0 T.marcianus 1.2 T.radix 1.0 T.s.parietalis
    Izzy, Seeley, Ziggy, Perseus, Peanut, Snapper, Hermes, Sadie, Osiris, Seraphina, Little Joe

Never shed

I don't use a shed box because she lies in her water dish a lot and has never had trouble shedding. She shed not more than 2 months ago and she started losing her color about a week later. I didn't write the date down but when she needs to shed it happens fast. Gets dull colored, eyes go blue, shed. I will try the shed box (I did get a box for this purpose). What about air holes? Nothing has changed in her environment except that it's winter time again and a little dryer than normal, but this hasn't happened other winters and there's nothing different this year. Thanks everybody.

Never shed

If she just ate last night, is it too soon to put her into the box?

The boxes usually don't seal well enough to need air hole. Plus you want to keep that warm humidity in the box.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

"PM Boots For Custom Title" d_virginiana's Avatar

Some snakes change their eating habits when they shed, but some don't. I can't think of any reason why you couldn't go ahead and put her in the shed box.
    Lora

3.0 T. sirtalis sirtalis, 1.1 T. cyrtopsis ocellatus, 1.0 L. caerulea, 0.1 C. cranwelli, 0.1 T. carolina, 0.1 P. regius, 0.1 G. rosea, 0.0.1 B. smithi, 0.1 H. carolinensis

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Light of Dae's Avatar

Looks like you've dusted her with calcium powder lol Who were you trying to feed her to? lol JK Is there anything different you've done? New subsrate / carpet? new hide? any different product at all?

I'd give her a warm bath and stick her in a shed box. But I ain't an expert by any means lol but it couldn't hurt.
    3.2 T.Marcianus, 1.2 T.Sirtalis, 1.0 Zacapu, 1.0 T.Radix
    0.1 Banana Cali King Snake
    0.1 BoxerXRottie Mutt

Banned

Big Bertha did that once. Skin got all crinkly and "crunchy". A nice long warm soak and assisted shed was necessary. I can't tell from the pic if that's what is happening here.