Thread: Enclosure heat

Enclosure heat

What do ya'll recommend for an enclosure heat source. What ambient air temperature do you recommend. Does this vary between the different varieties of garter?

Re: Enclosure heat

My hot spots are between 80-85 degrees. Then they have cool hide. Winter room temps are 70 during the day and 62 at night.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

"PM Boots For Custom Title" d_virginiana's Avatar

Steve; just to clarify, are the winter temps because you're cooling them down slightly for the winter?

EKS, just get a thermostat for the heat pad and use that. I don't think anyone is going to recommend using a heat pad w/o a thermostat. They just get too hot.

As for differences between species, I don't think there are any real notable differences in the North American species. I believe some species, like blacknecks, may be a bit more sensitive to changes in heat/humidity but that's just my personal opinion, no real evidence to back that up.
    Lora

3.0 T. sirtalis sirtalis, 1.1 T. cyrtopsis ocellatus, 1.0 L. caerulea, 0.1 C. cranwelli, 0.1 T. carolina, 0.1 P. regius, 0.1 G. rosea, 0.0.1 B. smithi, 0.1 H. carolinensis

Quote Originally Posted by d_virginiana View Post
    Steve; just to clarify, are the winter temps because you're cooling them down slightly for the winter?

EKS, just get a thermostat for the heat pad and use that. I don't think anyone is going to recommend using a heat pad w/o a thermostat. They just get too hot.

As for differences between species, I don't think there are any real notable differences in the North American species. I believe some species, like blacknecks, may be a bit more sensitive to changes in heat/humidity but that's just my personal opinion, no real evidence to back that up.

Yes.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

Two thermostats in the mail.
    I thought the snakes were supposed to regulate their heat by moving from the warm area to the cooler area.
    I might add we had an Eastern for 10 years with no external heat and he did fairly well.

He also survived being fed rosy minnows and red wigglers over corn cob bedding. Doesn't mean it's the right way to do it.

They will move away from a heat source but when burrowing would get them somewhere cooler in nature they don't understand why that doesn't work in captivity.
    Lora

3.0 T. sirtalis sirtalis, 1.1 T. cyrtopsis ocellatus, 1.0 L. caerulea, 0.1 C. cranwelli, 0.1 T. carolina, 0.1 P. regius, 0.1 G. rosea, 0.0.1 B. smithi, 0.1 H. carolinensis

We never fed him red wigglers.

No, because he wouldn't take them. He wouldn't take the rosy minnows well either. We tried when we first got him. I remember them secreting that yellow stuff.
    Lora

Hi, I'm New Here!

I know someone that had an Eastern for 14 years in a ten gallon tank and only a florescent bulb. Just kept at room temperatures. I'm not saying this is good, but the snake was healthy up til near the end. I have a small under tank heater at one end of my 29 gal. enclosure plus a day time heating light for the plants.