Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

"Preparing For First shed" Beautifylgirl's Avatar
    Washington State( Western Side- North Puget Sound)

Question Prefers fish over worms?

Okay so my T.s. fitchi prefers to eat fish over worms. I was wondering if this would be a problem in the long run. She was eating bass, trout, and the fish from my fishtank (swordtails, guppies etc). She really seemed to prefer eating the trout and bass over the tank fish so I was feeding those alot over the summer and fall. I tried feeding worms and slugs and such and she didn't like them. Is it okay to feed fish as long as she's getting supplimented with vitamins or should I try to get her to eat worms or cut up some other type of meat ? If I need to try some other type of meat what does everyone suggest? I don't think I'm up to trying pinky mice yet.
    Thanks,
    Brittany

Dutch, bold and Thamnophis-crazy Thamnophis's Avatar

Re: Prefers fish over worms?

Nothing wrong with feeding the fish.
    If they donīt like worms and slugs, let it go.
    You can add some other meat (chicken, cow) in slices to the fish.
    Add some vitamin/mineral/calciumpowder to them.
    It is always advisable to be a loser if you cannot become a winner. Frank Zappa

Yep, fish are more nutritional than worms anyway. They're a step up from worms. When I cut up fish, I leave the rib bones within the meat to provide calcium and phosphorous. Just make sure there aren't any sharp edges sticking out too far. Then I just supplement with calcium powder a few times a month because it contains Vitamin D, which helps to metabolize the calcium.

As far as other meats, I've read that ground meat, like hamburger, isn't a good idea. It's probably just harder for them to manipulate. My personal preference is not to feed raw chicken (no disrespect intended, just a difference of opinion) because of the POSSIBILITY of spreading salmonella to the snake, and ultimately to myself. Best,
    Rick

I don't know much about salmonella, but can't you get it from red meat too?
    0.1 Jack Russell Terrier
    1.0 T. sirtalis

Quote Originally Posted by Cazador View Post
    Yep, fish are more nutritional than worms anyway.
    I've always heard that worms are a very good nutritional meal. I was just wondering what's less nutritional in them. I expect calcium, but are there other things?

Dutch, bold and Thamnophis-crazy Thamnophis's Avatar

The chickenmeat in the Netherlands is very well controlled and free of salmonella.
    I mostly give chickenheart that is meant for cats and dogs. This also is very strongly controlled.
    Don't know how this is in other countries.
    You can get Salmonella from red meat too if the butcher was not careful with the hygiene.
    It is always advisable to be a loser if you cannot become a winner. Frank Zappa

I just heard something on the news that said 83% of chicken in the US has salmonella, or 83% of the ones they tested did anyways.
    0.1 Jack Russell Terrier
    1.0 T. sirtalis

If I remember correctly, less than 10% of chicken in Finland and about 0% in Sweden carry salmonella and I'd expect the Netherlands to be pretty much on the same level. I've also heard that about 75% of all CB reptiles carry it and about 25% of WC, but I haven't found a source.

I think it's the calcium/phosphorous ratio that's the problem.

I don't want to sound like I'm going on a worm-bashing trip, here. They're a fine food, but they should be supplemented with vitamins, minerals, and occasionally other foods. A bit of variety, however, is good advise with any diet.

With that said, worms have a low concentration (density) of nutrients/compounds associated with skeletal formation & maintenance, neural development & maintenance, vision, and digestion. It's true that snakes can make MANY of these chemicals for themselves, but a diet consisting of vertebrates "provides" these nutrients without the need for extra processing. This alone, can make a big difference to snakes dealing with the stresses of captivity.

Worms also have to "conform" to their environment, which can expose them to a lifetime of harmful chemicals (i.e. fertilizers, pesticides, petroleum byproducts...). On the other hand, they can be fed well, kept in clean soil, and be an excellent part of a varied diet.

Finally, they have a high water content, so you have to feed a lot of worms to provide enough calories & nutrients to keep garters satisfied. Fish, on the other hand, have more complex physiologies that are more similar to that of snakes, and they provide more nutrients per unit mass. Healthy, well-fed mammals are even more nutritious. If this sounded too negative on worms, please reread the first paragraph.