Plugged scent gland on snake

I thought I would pose the question...has anyone had this happen to one of their snakes? I didn't even know it *could* happen. Had to take my western hognose, Copper, to the vet for it. I had tried to soak it, and squeeze it, but i learned i wasn't squeezing it out in the right way (you have to roll from the tip of the tail, towards the vent to clear the glad, as if popping a pimple).

Apparently it can just happen.
    I've tried to look up what could cause this, since i kept his tank immaculate, but it just happens...?
    Anyone know about this?

Here are some photos before taking him to the vet. By the time i found one in my area it did get a tiny bit more swollen. I manged to find a reliable vet it seems, though, and he is doing good. Had antibiotics and some soaking medicine.

Ever heard of this though? Thanks guys!

Melissa
    31 snakes, 14 species. Various other critters, 3 emperor scorpions, 1 cave spider, 19 tarantulas, 1 gecko, 2 dogs, 1 frogs, 1 rat. 1 pigeon, tons of fish.

Re: Plugged scent gland on snake

I've had females with swollen tails due to infection. Not sure if it was a scent gland infection or not thought.
    Never got any blood out of them just pus/infection.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

Just curious, what kind of bedding are you using? I've seen photos of a hognose with a similar infection that was caused by a piece of aspen getting into the cloaca and down by the hemipenes.
    mike

Very interesting thanks for uploading.
    Will

mikem!!! You know what? That DID happen to him when i had him on aspen bedding, but i thought it had been pushed up his vent the *other* direction. But he definitely had that happen to him. I switched him off aspin right away, and that was ages ago. It could have been an issue this whole time...but the vet said it was the gland..so..dunno.

Guido supposedly if it happens, you clean the pus out, and if you get it all out, then that's the end of it, though you may have to do it again if infection pops up again. I wasn't able to get it all out myself. After that initial squeeze, and the blood drop, i freaked!

Snakes produce pus in a different manner than humans. Their pus forms solid masses, and can harden further and cause unmovable impactions that actually spread like fibers to the surrounding tissue. I had been able to get some out, that kind of looked like urates. But, it was further impacted and thus the blood.
    It actually came up fairly fast. one day it seems it wasn't there and the next it was.
    He HAD gone off food for a few weeks before that but i thought he was going to go into shed, as hoggies tend to shed for a long time.

Anyway, something i've been wondering if anyone else has encountered!
    Strange that the hognoses would be the same ones to get aspin in the vent..
    Melissa
    31 snakes, 14 species. Various other critters, 3 emperor scorpions, 1 cave spider, 19 tarantulas, 1 gecko, 2 dogs, 1 frogs, 1 rat. 1 pigeon, tons of fish.

Smells Like Teen Spirit Invisible Snake's Avatar

From what I've read online this is a somewhat common thing with hogs. Here is a link to a video showing someone draining the gland.

http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid621.photobucket.com/albums/tt291/DNARoyals/hognosetailpart2.mp4

Dang. Poor snake. I guess they swell up with glad scent, then it can become an infection? I looked all over for info on this when it happened but didn't come across anything like this.
    I don't know how that method would get the hard pus out, but it looks like it did drain her..but..seems counterproductive if it's a plugged gland. I would think it would need to be pushed out the opening..?
    ANyway, speculation. Thank you!
    Melissa

Similar, but symmetrical, swelling tends to happen to captive (in-)bred tetrataenia, once they reach a certain age. It is my understanding, though, that it's usually benign in their case.