Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Black Rat Snake Rescue

My beagle alerted us to something at the outbuilding. A Black Rat snake had become caught in some deer netting. There is significant damage but we will do what we can to get her healed up and hopefully back in the wild. This will take some time.

020.jpg021.jpg023.jpg024.jpg

Re: Black Rat Snake Rescue

Here are some more pics of the injury.

025.jpg026.jpg027.jpg028.jpg

I'm sorry I have put this the wrong area. If a moderator see's this please move it to the correct forum.

wow i wonder how long it was in that netting for? i hope she gets better thats some bad stuff

Hydration would be first on the list then treat the injury. Nice save.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

With in 10 minutes of getting her/him in the house she drank and drank and drank. We put a coat of neosporin on the wounds and poured a 50/50 peroxide water solution on the wounds also. He acts much perkier tonight. Has been showing very little aggression considering what's going on. I'm concerned about internal damage. Time will tell. I might add he ( i haven't checked but I think it's a he) has passed some urates.

well that is very good its drinking and that there is little aggression considering what its was just through. good luck with him

"PM Boots For Custom Title" d_virginiana's Avatar

I've been talking to them about this snake since the post, and based on what they said, I'm hopeful that there's not any internal damage. Time will tell, but I think this snake stands a good chance of surviving Plus, they have access to the vet that helped out when I found Turtle.

Also, I wanted to say that this is the second animal that our beagle, Bonnie, has saved from netting by standing and barking at it for an extended period without hurting it lol. This was the first one
    398639_10150609727228035_1260490352_n.jpg
    Lora

3.0 T. sirtalis sirtalis, 1.1 T. cyrtopsis ocellatus, 1.0 L. caerulea, 0.1 C. cranwelli, 0.1 T. carolina, 0.1 P. regius, 0.1 G. rosea, 0.0.1 B. smithi, 0.1 H. carolinensis

I realize that this snakes brain is about the size of a BB but do you think it knows we are trying to help it?

i don't know i mean i know they feel pain but i don't think they can understand compassion its been a wild snake with its fight or flight always on. i mean the best you could do is be slow with it and make sure its fed so hopefully it wont attack out of hunger or fear, because your big and grab for it, its thinking oh crap its gonna eat me. but i'm sure you know some of this.

did you ever see the supposed photo of the "cobra" and the puppies in the well? i think it was in india, but the only reason the pups were not bit was they didn't mess with the snake. that snake could care less about protecting or maternal instinct. you know what i mean

but thats not to say after releasing the snake it wont be back in your yard looking for a handout or being more tame than you expect.