Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Enclosure entry

Enclosure entry

I've come to the conclusion that I need to convert all my enclosures to front entry. The difference between that and top entry is unmistakable. My top entry snakes are much more skiddish and jumpy. My front entry snakes are for the most part much more calm. If I have a group looking out of their hide in a front entry, I can open it up and everyone stays put or comes out to great me. Coming in from the top and everyone pulls back in until they see what's going on. I think that's the key to this whole thing, they "see" whats going on.
    I've tried to let them see me before I come over the top and most will pull back. I think it's just inherent for them to be afraid of things coming at them from the top.
    I have noticed this behavior can be trained out of them. I've moved front entry snakes to top entry enclosures and they seem to be fine with that. Granted it wasn't for more than a day at a time. Still, that "somethings trying to get me from above" response wasn't there. Just wondered what everyone else has observed.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

Re: Enclosure entry

Definately aggree with that observation
    Keeping - 'Florida blue' sirtalis, concinnus, infernalis, parietalis, radix, marcianus and ocellatus.

Amen. I've noticed a dramatic change with my WC male T. e. vagrans. With the top entry cages he would flail around and I could never get him to eat while I was around. Now I can just open up the cage, have him come to me, and he stuffs himself right out of my hands. :P
    0.1 Storeria dekayi
    Hoping to get some T. s. sirtalis High-Reds next summer!

I noticed the same thing. I have a “holding tank” where I place newbie’s then move them to my front access cages and there is a difference in the snake temperament.
    Michael
    1.1 Woma (Sun Burst), 2.1 Eastern Blackneck, 3.3 Plains Garter, 3.1 Puget Sound,
    2.1 Granite Checker, 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa (snake sitting )

Absolutely!
    James.

Forum Moderator aSnakeLovinBabe's Avatar

Front entry is the way to go. I definitely agree that the snakes in tanks become much more flippy when I open the cage than the ones with the front doors!!! The ones with the front doors just come sliding over to me and want to investigate!
    Mother of many snakes and a beautiful baby girl! I am also a polymer clay artist!

"PM Boots For Custom Title" count dewclaw's Avatar

Hmmm, I may have to rethink my enclosures.....
    LeAnn
    "The early bird catches the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese."
    "Jokes are for kids, but puns are for the grown."

Hm... With the top-entry tank, I can have the lid open to clean, or feed, or whatever else, and not have to worry about escapees. With the front-entry enclosures I've seen, the front just pretty much swings wide open. So for those of you with front-entry enclosures AND multiple snakes, how do you manage things like feeding or spot cleaning? Do you just remove the snakes to a separate container every time you need to open the door? Or do they all pretty much just stay inside? Since my boys are still babies I'm feeding them off tongs to make sure I know how much they've both eaten. So the specific scenario I'm envisioning involves my faster eater deciding to go walkabout while I'm busy waiting for my slower eater to take a fish or whatever. Since they're still awfully skittish about being handled (which may of course be exacerbated by the top-entry tank!) I'm letting them eat in their enclosure instead of trying to get them into separate containers to eat.

I don't have any problems to speak of. For the most part they wait their turn

Honestly, At times it's quick hands that keep them from getting out. Sometimes they do take turns and behave. I have at times pulled them out after they take their food. I put them in a small container until they're done.
    I have some pretty calm snakes and they seem to know the routine, unless pinkies are on the menu. Then they bum-rush me and take all the food.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

Quote Originally Posted by DrKate View Post
    Hm... With the top-entry tank, I can have the lid open to clean, or feed, or whatever else, and not have to worry about escapees.
    That's one reason I gave up top-entry tanks, I couldn't even open the lid without having to worry that the inhabitant might escape out of some corner while I was cleaning or whatever else and I had to remove the lights and heat lamp etc. every damn time. I provide my snakes with plenty of climbing opportunities as well, so they could always access the top of the enclosure.

With the front-entry enclosures I've seen, the front just pretty much swings wide open.
    Sliding doors don't have that particular problem. You can open them just enough.

So for those of you with front-entry enclosures AND multiple snakes, how do you manage things like feeding or spot cleaning? Do you just remove the snakes to a separate container every time you need to open the door? Or do they all pretty much just stay inside?
    Spot cleaning is no problem, my snakes don't exactly start pouring out of the doors when I open them. These days, I feed most of them outside the enclosure, but before, I never experienced that it would have been problematic.