Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

List of concerns ...

The job of keeping on top of the new group is as follows:

1) Convince 3 potentially gravid snakes to deal with their unplanned pause in feeding/current state of affairs.

2) Deal with another potential head-ache, parasitic worms of the skin bump variety:

Any treatment will wait until after potential pregnancies have run their course (both sirtalis and the normal marcianus). Fecals went off to the vet today for both the sirtalis and the marcianus group.
    The first skin bump on the big sirtalis female will wait for attention. The other on the old marcianus male (apparently in double figures) will get some attention in a week or so once he has fully settled in.

On another note ... no problems with handling so far and I'm about to offer food for the second time.

P.S. - the albino marcianus is starting to win me over ... a real character.
    Keeping - 'Florida blue' sirtalis, concinnus, infernalis, parietalis, radix, marcianus and ocellatus.

Re: List of concerns ...

Well, you know the drill with the bumps I'm sure...either let the vet handle it or do your own surgery...I saw a whole thread on here about it. And you have plenty of experience dealing with gravid females. The snakes are in good hands....
    Marnie
    3.3 T.s.sirtalis 1.0 T.marcianus 1.2 T.radix 1.0 T.s.parietalis
    Izzy, Seeley, Ziggy, Perseus, Peanut, Snapper, Hermes, Sadie, Osiris, Seraphina, Little Joe

All girls have eaten now .... the boys appear to possibly stuck in breeding mode (caught some guy on guy attempts earlier). I'm starting them back up slow, next offerings on Thursday/Friday.
    Keeping - 'Florida blue' sirtalis, concinnus, infernalis, parietalis, radix, marcianus and ocellatus.

"PM Boots For Custom Title" chris-uk's Avatar

It sounds like you've got a few little problems with that group. They should be back to their old selves soon with their new pet running around collecting their poo, providing food and acting as warm climbing frames.

Possibly three gravity? Female checkered and both Florida blues?

I've checked over the two radix for bumps and can't see any. They were on the other side of the room to the marcianus boys and the blues. I'll keep checking though.

I've fed for the second time today, on Sunday evening they both took a pinky each. Tonight Lipwig has eaten really well, he was hanging out of the front of the viv to stuff his face. Adora Belle hasn't eaten the salmon, maybe she's fussy but more likely she's in a strop after being poked and squeezed by the vet this evening.
    So Adora Belle may or may not have an infection below her vent. The vet didn't think it was something to treat with antibiotics at the moment, we'll keep an eye on her and see if there's any change. I'll keep her temps up in the meantime.

The albino checkered seemed really friendly when I took her out, perfect colours to get women hooked on garters too, I bet she's not just winning you around.
    Chris
    T. marcianus, T. e. cuitzeoensis, T. cyrtopsis, T. radix, T. s. infernalis, T. s. tetrataenia

Quote Originally Posted by chris-uk View Post
    It sounds like you've got a few little problems with that group. They should be back to their old selves soon with their new pet running around collecting their poo, providing food and acting as warm climbing frames.

The mind does boggle on who is in control sometimes.

Possibly three gravity? Female checkered and both Florida blues?

The two Florida girls for sure. The larger of the two is carrying a lot of weight quite low. The smaller one has two or three definite bumps, a gap and then another. From what I can ascertain this would be their first, early, litter so I'm expecting a low rate of success especially since the male is also only just mature.
    The big checkered girl is a potential. I will have another feel when I next handle her.

I've checked over the two radix for bumps and can't see any. They were on the other side of the room to the marcianus boys and the blues. I'll keep checking though.

See what results come up here. If there are nasties on the horizon I'll let you know asap as these will have been food source related. They also don't make it to the skin until they have matured so I would consider the radix as affected until you either treat, based on my results, or order your own set of fecals.

I've fed for the second time today, on Sunday evening they both took a pinky each. Tonight Lipwig has eaten really well, he was hanging out of the front of the viv to stuff his face. Adora Belle hasn't eaten the salmon, maybe she's fussy but more likely she's in a strop after being poked and squeezed by the vet this evening.
    So Adora Belle may or may not have an infection below her vent. The vet didn't think it was something to treat with antibiotics at the moment, we'll keep an eye on her and see if there's any change. I'll keep her temps up in the meantime.

Fingers crossed for her mate , they can take the huff after a vet trip for sure.

The albino checkered seemed really friendly when I took her out, perfect colours to get women hooked on garters too, I bet she's not just winning you around.
    don't I just know it.

the first piece of good news. The fecals are completely clear! Transmission of those potential nasties is off the cards.
    Another feeding session met with good results - 3 girls feeding with gusto. The boys still aren't eating and the large Florida female decided to skip this feed.
    The bump on the female is pliable and I'll continue to leave well alone for now. It may still prove to be a worm but it could be stress related too.
    I feel the bump on the checkered is a much bigger issue. It's solid and, considering that this boy is at retirement stage - double figure life-span, I suspect it will most likely prove to be a tumour. I've decided to get a vet's opinion in April when I'll get the chance.

"PM Boots For Custom Title" chris-uk's Avatar

Good news on the fecals.

I fear you could be right about the male checkered, did John tell you how old he is? He forgets time at the best of times, but I think he worked out that he must be at least 13.

A case of quarantine and continue to watch.
    Chris
    T. marcianus, T. e. cuitzeoensis, T. cyrtopsis, T. radix, T. s. infernalis, T. s. tetrataenia

Wow..13..that's a good long life. But I hope it doesn't turn out to be a tumor. Keep us posted on that.
    Marnie
    3.3 T.s.sirtalis 1.0 T.marcianus 1.2 T.radix 1.0 T.s.parietalis
    Izzy, Seeley, Ziggy, Perseus, Peanut, Snapper, Hermes, Sadie, Osiris, Seraphina, Little Joe

Quick update on feeding - the Florida Blue male ate yesterday so now only the checkered boys need to catch on

Glad to hear thing are improving.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee