"Preparing For Second shed"

picture of my garter awhile back

2 years ago? something like that, has grown alot and moved cages ;D The one hes in was temporary, right after I caught him =)

Re: picture of my garter awhile back

Nice Garter, Lee and welcome to the forum.

Sid

Nice, but waiting for some newer pictures.

I was wondering about some things. Like this is really a caught snake. Did you treat her after you captured her? If you did, how did you proceed?

In Belgium we can't hold any species native to Belgium ( that's what I've been told ). I know some species of garters can't be kept in their native parts in the US either. Is this all bound to specific state laws or does an organisation is responsible for it?

Dutch, bold and Thamnophis-crazy Thamnophis's Avatar

Where did you catch it? I mean, in what country, county, near what place, etc.
    That helps to id it.
    It is always advisable to be a loser if you cannot become a winner. Frank Zappa

Quote Originally Posted by Snaky View Post

I was wondering about some things. Like this is really a caught snake. Did you treat her after you captured her? If you did, how did you proceed?

In Belgium we can't hold any species native to Belgium ( that's what I've been told ). I know some species of garters can't be kept in their native parts in the US either. Is this all bound to specific state laws or does an organisation is responsible for it?
    Snaky,
    Laws on keeping any wild caught animals, reptiles, etc. differ from state to state in most cases. Here in South Carolina the only snakes that are illgal to capture and or keep are Indigos and Southern Hognose.

Sid

Quote Originally Posted by Snaky View Post

Treat her? Like for parasites? No, she seemed healthy and I've had no need to go out and spend money treating a snake that is fine on its own. If the snake can survive outside with a parasite or to, why can't they inside? 2 years and no problems so I think she's clean.

As for where I caught him, rocky mt. region united states, in an empty grassy lot.

A lot of snakes don't fair well in captivity. Parasites that require an intermediate host to complete its life cycle (like tapeworms, flukes, etc.) don't usually cause too much of a problem with captive snakes. However, those that have a direct life cycle (like mites, many protozoa, hookworms, etc.) can really cause problems since the snake is confined to a small area and can't avoid re-infestation.

Some snakes just don't acclimate to captivity as well as others do, and the stress of confinement can weaken their immune system, which makes them even more vulnerable to infestation, disease, and malnutrition. Improper housing conditions, such as poor lighting, heating, humidity, etc. can also amplify stress, which can also impair reproduction.

Quote Originally Posted by Cazador View Post
    A lot of snakes don't fair well in captivity. Parasites that require an intermediate host to complete its life cycle (like tapeworms, flukes, etc.) don't usually cause too much of a problem with captive snakes. However, those that have a direct life cycle (like mites, many protozoa, hookworms, etc.) can really cause problems since the snake is confined to a small area and can't avoid re-infestation.

Some snakes just don't acclimate to captivity as well as others do, and the stress of confinement can weaken their immune system, which makes them even more vulnerable to infestation, disease, and malnutrition. Improper housing conditions, such as poor lighting, heating, humidity, etc. can also amplify stress, which can also impair reproduction.
    Haven't had any problems with anything like that. My snakes immune system is fine. No problems. Even though, I don't have a light on it, or any specific heating. That has never been a problem. He gets enough light from the sun comming in durring the day. But I have a light for him that I need light bulbs. What kind of humidity is recommended? Its dry in there except the large open water bowl for him to swim and he seems content.

minimal humidity...if he is doing fine with wht you h ave now, that's fine. As long as he can soak a little and dry off he will be fine. You don't want too much humidity as is can lead to skin infections. If the snake's water dish is big enough to soak in he can before shedding to assist wih it.