Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Humidity

Humidity

What humidity levels do you keep in your terrariums?

We recently had a fairly cold period here and that really messed up the humidity levels in my terrarium, forcing me to mist just to keep the relative humidity above 40%. That part is slowly getting under control, though, as I'm redesigning the ventilation in my terrarium. What pisses me off is how I didn't see this coming when I made the damn thing, and now one of my snakes just had a failed shed because of it.

Re: Humidity

I dont' really regulate the humidity in my tanks at all. It's pretty much what ever the reptile room is at. Right now, like you, the heat is really running and the relative humidity in the room is only 25%. My garters are on CareFresh, in tanks with screenlids and water bowls big enough for them to fit in and I haven't had any shedding problems with them at all. Sometimes I wonder if shedding issues has more to do with something else then just humidity?
    Roy
    Roy
    0.1 T.s.pallidulus

I've heard others say that too, mostly about stress being the problem, but in this case I see a direct connection between the humidity and how well the shedding goes. I've had a couple of less than perfect sheds before, but they have always occurred during periods with especially low humidity. This time of year, really.

The terrarium is practically open at the top, so of course all the humidity given off by the water bowl would dissipate that way. I'm going to switch to a glass lid (goodbye, UVB) and make a few 95mm ventilation holes in the walls instead.

Hi Stefan,

Mine are at about 40-50% RH, but I don't normally have to do anything to regulate it. I just move my water dish around (under or over the heat source) if there's a problem. Before the snakes shed, I usually spray a little water into their enclosures and most of the time I make sure to change their water dish after their eyes clear. I've also read something about this that gave different humidity recommendations for different species. I'll try to find it.

Rick

How problomatic is a 'failed shed,' and what exactly is it? Also, how often does an average garter shed? I remember something closer to once monthly with the garters I had when I was little, but I think they were very young too..

In the short amount of time I've had my current garter, (since Nov. o6) she's shed once and it went very well, and I haven't closely regulated the humidity..

Thanks,
    Hannah

Hi Hannah,

Stefan was saying that the shed skin came off in multiple pieces instead of in one, nice piece. Young snakes that are growing very quickly often shed monthly, but they shed less often (every 2-3 months) as juveniles and adults. Manipulating the humidity prior to a shed isn't necessary. It just gives a bit of added insurance that things will go smoothly.

Rick

Ok, Thanks.

Hannah

That's exactly what I meant, Rick. Thank you.

Stefan,

I found the source I was looking for about humidity. I don't know how the information was compiled or how reliable it is, but Phillip Purser gives recommendations for temperature ranges and relative humidities for six Thamnophis species and a few ribbon snakes in Garter and Ribbon Snake Care (2005). They're generally between 72 & 81F with basking spots around 85-88F. Relative humidities ranged from 55% to greater than 65%, which seems kind of high to me. Check your PMs for more details. If anyone else wants more details, send me a PM. Cheers,

Rick

Got your PM, thanks again.