Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: heat

heat

so far I've always used bulbs for heat
    now that I'm moving and I'm looking at building new racks, I'm looking at what else I could use
    I tried heat tape once and I must have done something wrong, because it cracked the glass it was taped to
    now it's coiled up in a storage container
    rhea
    "you cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus" Mark Twain

Re: heat

i use heat mats and heat tape underneath a false floor. I use laminate flooring to build the false floor because its thin enough to let the heat through and easy to clean and remove for cleaning. works fine for me. maybe if the heat tape cracks the glass, you could build a false floor and sandwich the heat tape between 2 boards of wood or laminate flooring.
    0.0.1 Sesarma bidens ~ Clawz
    1.1.0 Thamnophis marcianus ~ Mr & Mrs Dinky
    0.1.0 Trachemys scripta eligans ~ Vikki
    1.0.0 Trachemys scripta scripta ~ Mr.T
    2.0.0 Rattus rattus ~ Rolo & Munchie

Bulbs are the best way to heat garter enclosures period (IMO)
    I can verify through personal experience that they seem much happier with an illuminated basking spot vs a rack set up with heat tape, or and aquarium with a UTH. Anyways here's my garter "rack" hope it gives you some ideas

If you look closely you an see "my girls" utilizing the basking platforms I have provided them This is where I house pairs together except when the females are getting ready to drop, I then move the males onto a traditional snake rack where they appear quite miserable, but it's only temporary then back with their girly freinds they go

Under floor heating is far superior. By using heat cable or mats you can provide ambient overnight warmth without sacrificing the photo-period, it is also infinitely more controllable with a thermostat, than a light bulb. If you use a light bulb and contol the temperature using a thermostat the light is always going on and off. I light my vivs with flurescent lights which provide no heat, however the snakes don't realize this and they bask in the light, in full view anyway, even though they are being warmed from below!
    James.

If you're going to use undertank heating...there are some really good het mats on the market that don't get as hot as heat tape and won't crack tank bottoms. Two of the really good brands are Cobra Heatmats and Ultratherm Heatmats. They both only get to about 100F, so they're not too warm. I've used the Cobra mats on my PI king for over 10yrs. now and I really like it. I also like the fact that they don't have adhesive on them (they need to be secured to the tank bottom), so if you need to move them you can. I've had others that stuck to the bottom of the tank and if the tank was no good or something, I wasn't able to "reuse" the heater somewhere else. For garters though....I have to agree with Ameivaboy and say I really like using overhead lights for heat.

Roy
    Roy
    0.1 T.s.pallidulus

You guys who use light bulbs to heat your vivs; How do you regulate the temperature when the temps outside the viv fluctuate? How do you warm the viv during really cold nights? What precautions do you take to prevent your snakes coming into contact with the bulb and frying?
    James.

Thanks James and Roy for all the good info on heat mats
    the reason I'm looking into this is partially for energy efficiency
    right now mostly for my non-garters, who don't bask
    I too like giving the garters warmth that comes from above, like the sun does
    they seem to appreciate it and with the branches I give them they can choose how close they want to get
    the bulb is always in a dome fixture sitting on top of the screen top, so there's no danger of a snake getting any closer than the hot screen
    I do set it up that the hottest spot, calibrated for their top range, is at the highest basking spot in the tank
    the coolest spot is usually somewhere beyond the water dish
    with that much ventilation it's not that difficult to maintain a cool end
    I also don't worry about night time temps, since they live in our appartment
    it's a terribly wasteful system, though
    also
    there are a couple of tanks I'd like to turn on their sides and then the heat through the glass thing . . . - too risky
    so I need to learn about some other options
    I'd also like to learn more about other heat producing bulbs, that might be more energy efficient
    I think that I get more focussed heat out of the spot bulbs than a regular household bulb
    but what about mercury vapor and halogen?
    I know nothing about them, but I believe they're more efficient as well, but is that in terms of heat or light?
    rhea
    "you cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus" Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by adamanteus View Post
    You guys who use light bulbs to heat your vivs; How do you regulate the temperature when the temps outside the viv fluctuate? How do you warm the viv during really cold nights? What precautions do you take to prevent your snakes coming into contact with the bulb and frying?
    I have all my heat lamps on thermostats, so that I can regulate the temps. As far as those cold nights.......it doesn't get below 60F in my reptile room so I really don't rely on any heat at night. I've found too many people keep there herps WAY too warm WAY too long. Natural temp. fluctuations between day and night are a natural thing and yes, all my stuff is out basking in the early AM when the lights come on, but I don't have any issue with respitory problems, problems with regurgitation or other stuff associated with keeping herps too cool. I also stick to herps from temperate or semitropical regions as well, so I don't really have anything that needs hothouse type of conditions. As far as contact with the bulbs....the lights are either on the outside of the cage or are shielded by some sort of "cage" for lack of a better term.

Roy
    Roy
    0.1 T.s.pallidulus

Doesn't it bother you, the light going on and off with the thermostat, Roy?
    James.

"PM Boots For Custom Title"

i was told it was a waste of money to get a thermostat that turns the light on n off because the bulbs blow alot easier and dont last nearly as long but it would be benificial to get a dimmer switch attached.