Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Feeding Issues

"Preparing For First shed" Maleko's Avatar

Feeding Issues

So here's the situation. My garter snake will readily take food (I have her on a mixed diet of pinky mice, slugs, and earthworms), but the problem is that I use coconut bedding in her enclosure. Whenever I feed her, the food collects coconut shavings and it gets on her face and around her mouth. It looks very uncomfortable and I see her burying her face and rubbing her head against the aquarium to get rid of the debris. What should I do for her? Is there a kind of "feeding station" I can set up?

Banned

Re: Feeding Issues

Many snakes won't eat if you disturb them and take them out of their enclosure. Loose coconut fiber (which is what eco-earth is) isn't too dangerous to swallow. It will usually pass just fine. However, I always avoid letting them swallow any kind of substrate. A little "clean" dirt along with earthworms is OK, but don't let them swallow substrate.

OK, so, you don't want them swallowing substrate but you also can't take them out and still have them feed. So what to do? cut the food into pieces that are small enough to be swallowed quickly, and tong feed. This also keeps fights to a minimum. Here's some video to demonstrate the method. I found this to be the easiest method to solve all the major problems (fighting, swallowing substrate, making sure each snake gets fed, etc.)

And of course, a few of my snakes don't mind coming out of the enclosure to eat:

You might have to work with your snakes to get them accustomed to this feeding method. Once they get the hang of it, and used to it, it goes just fine. It also helps them learn to trust you and not be afraid of your hand. A pair of needlenose craft pliers or hemostats work well for tong feeding.

Banned

You can also try something similar to this. I setup a large "dish" and once they know it's feeding time and I have their attention, I just drop it on the dish in front of them. Again, keep the pieces small and they won't be dragging it through substrate. They'll just swallow it immediately. There's no substrate here, but you get the idea. A large dish where they can snatch it up and swallow quickly will minimize contact with substrate.

"Preparing For First shed" Maleko's Avatar

I have a critter cage I use for travelling purposes. Can I feed her in there?
    And whats the general rule for handling snakes after eating? For instance, will I be able to transfer her from the critter cage back to her enclosure after eating, or should I wait a few days?

Edit:

That second post is a good idea. I think I'll try setting up a dish.

Banned

Sure you can. Unless she's one of those snakes that gets freaked out and won't eat after you move her. When she's done eating, just pick her up (supporting her body well) and put her back in her enclosure.

I cut the worms up into pieces and put them on a Tupperware lid. With the pinkies, they are usually swallowed before they hit the bottom of the enclosure. If they are on the bottom of the enclosure and not on the shelf, I feed the pinkies with tongs and hold on to it until they have it a little over half gone.

I have to separate my pugets from the nw during feeding time so there is no food fights, so I have a 5gal. feeding tank. I just wait a few minutes after they have swallowed their food to transfer them back in the main enclosure.

My babies won't eat if they are transferred so I watch them and make sure they eat over their plate. When they have had a few bites I move them to the feeding tank to let the others eat. With my snakes, as long as they have it fully swallowed they don't regurgitate.

Hope this helps. This is just what works for us and our snakes.
    Kat
    2.2 T.s.pickeringii, 0.4.7 T.ordinoides 1.1 T.marcianus 1.1 T. radix 1.0 T.s.parietalis 1.2 Pseudacris regilla

I have a condition! RedSidedSPR's Avatar

I used to have that problem, than i started feeding like Richard (ConcinnusMan) and that works great!

"PM Boots For Custom Title" d_virginiana's Avatar

Yeah, plus coco-fiber seems to stick more to food than other substrates that I've used. I've never had any problems with using Carefresh. It's a bit bulkier, so even if it does get on the food, they can usually knock it off with their mouths.

Not that it matters since my snakes refuse to eat anything that isn't cut up into bite-sized pieces anyway..
    Lora

3.0 T. sirtalis sirtalis, 1.1 T. cyrtopsis ocellatus, 1.0 L. caerulea, 0.1 C. cranwelli, 0.1 T. carolina, 0.1 P. regius, 0.1 G. rosea, 0.0.1 B. smithi, 0.1 H. carolinensis

Banned

Yeah, I don't know what's up with Big Bertha lately, but if she can't fit it in her mouth in one strike, she'll grab it, start to work on it and drop it. I don't know what's up with that. Then I gotta pick it up, cut it smaller, then she'll eat it. I don't know if maybe her mouth is bothering her, or her jaw is sore, or what, but I can't see anything obviously wrong. The inside of her mouth looks good since she recovered from her respiratory infection. Was all gray and mucous present, now looks pink and healthy. But she started the food dropping when she was on antibiotics. Still not so sure about her. She's hanging in there but without a vet to look her over, it's impossible to know what's going on with her.

Mama has done that... I think it just gives them a bit of ease when swallowing. At least in Mama's case. I try to give her larger food when she'll take it though, because she's tried to chew on the babies when I wasn't feeding her fast enough.
    Chantel
    2.2.3 Thamnophis ordinoides Derpy Scales, Hades, Mama, Runt, Pumpkin, Azul, Spots
    (Rest in peace Snakey, Snap, Speckles, Silver, Ember and Angel.)