Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Never shed

Pregnant Thamnophis

Hi everybody.
    My parietalis x tetrataenia female (110 cm., 300 g.) is probably pregnant - I have observed mating three times from the 15th march - 10th april - and she's getting fatter and fatter. This is my first time breeding Thamnophis so any advice are welcome.

I have "googled" that if breed successful live babies will be born after 60-90 days - what are your experiences?

I have thought about removing her to a escape proof plastic box (about 70x40x15 cm.) with newspaper as only substrate, a water dish and a smaller plastic box inside for hiding/moisture box with vermiculite inside it. A temperature of 28-30 degrees in the hot end, and 20-22 degrees in the cold end of the box. And then feed her a little less than I use to.

Does that sounds like a good plan?

Thanks, and sorry for my poor "danish-english";-)

Re: Pregnant Thamnophis

Welcome to the forum!
    Le Ann

"Research shows that if you're afraid of spiders, you are more likely to find one in your bedroom. I'm really afraid of Johnny Depp."

Banned

Welcome!

Dang! that's a big girl! I would definitely avoid the newspaper. Babies tend to stick to it when they're born, then the newspaper sucks the moisture out of their membranes, they get stuck, and suffocate before they can break free. Also, they can get underneath it and get smooshed by mom.

Vermiculite isn't bad, but it will stick to everything moist, including newborns.

Temperatures sound OK.

When she's getting close to that time, remove the water dish and offer mom a chance to drink at least twice a day. Some moms will give birth in the water and drown the babies, or they will fall in and drown. Feed her moisture rich, easily digested food if possible. (such as night crawlers or fish pieces) If you feed her rodent food, make it day old mice. Feed her small meals often as long as she keeps taking them.

It can take over 100 days for some girls to pop but you can probably safely expect them to arrive between 70-90 days.

Never shed

Thank you very much!

Yeah, she's extremely big, I have never seen a Thamnophis that big before! She's like an average pantherophis guttatus:-)

OK, so everything in my plan is ok, besides that I should avoid any substrate in the cage? A moisture box isn't necessary? Thank you for the advice on the water dish, I haven't thought about that. I think I will offer her at very small and low water dish.

It's very hard this waiting and especially because I don't know for sure if she's really pregnant:-) But she's extremely fat so I believe she is

Myself I prefer bark (or other "chunky" substrates) for birthing.

It helps to break up the membrane.

Banned

Probably won't hurt to have a moisture box but use paper towels. If you don't use bark, paper towels for the birthing container are fine, just don't use newspaper.

"Third shed In Progress"

Thanks for the heads up on the water bowl. So they could come as early as 70 days then? I know this was someone else;s thread, but I thought it might be pertinent. I thought it would take at least 90.

Banned

it's hard to say how long. I know that my T. ordinoides (Northwestern garter) can have them in 60-90 days but my T. s. concinnus (Oregon Red-spotted) usually take 90-110 days.

"Third shed In Progress"

Interesting, anyone with experience with Pugets would be of appreciated help. Next week is nearing the 60 day mark.

"Third shed In Progress"

She's about the shed, does that mean she's close? She shed about a month ago as well.