Hi, I'm New Here!

I just found a baby dekayi

I just found a baby dekayi and i was wondering how often they drink eat and what temperatures to keep them in. this ones not adult yet only 7 inches. any help would be so greatly appreciated.

Re: I just found a baby dekayi

Not much different than garters. Though some say they seem to like cooler temps. They eat slugs and maybe earthworms but mine only eats slugs. I keep mine with my ribbon snake. They both like to hide under the water dish.

Good luck & we want pictures!

PS: Welcome!
    Last edited by Mommy2many; 10-22-2009 at 04:17 PM. Reason: add welcome
    Le Ann

"Research shows that if you're afraid of spiders, you are more likely to find one in your bedroom. I'm really afraid of Johnny Depp."

Hi, I'm New Here!

the cage is very makeshift for the moment. I'll go to pet smart later and get a nice one with propper bedding. I'm sure the pictures will be funny, she loves to be handled. Doesn't seem to be eating the worm i gave her. I'll try snails or slugs.

The Dekayi are wonderful snakes. They rarely musk or bite. They are very quick & spazzy, though. You probably have a sub-adult. They don't get very big, with the females getting to be 13-14 inches. I thought mine too was a baby, when we caught him he was about that length.

Now he's a fat little thing and "he" may be a "she". Still, only eats slugs. So I have started a slug colony for the winter. PM me later & I'll tell you how to keep them if you want.

Mine is in a 20 gallon tank but a 10 would be just fine.
    Le Ann

"Research shows that if you're afraid of spiders, you are more likely to find one in your bedroom. I'm really afraid of Johnny Depp."

Welcome to the forum. Dekayi care is for the most part the same as garter care. Checkout the care sheet http://www.thamnophis.com/caresheets/index.php?title=Garter_Snake_Care_Sheet Give them 24/7 access to clean water.
    A couple hide places reduces the stress on them. I use a hot side temp of 80-85 degrees. If it's young it may need fed a few times a week. Seeing a photo would help determine its needs. Slugs, small earthworms and very small nightcrawlers are their favorite foods. Best of luck.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

Hi, I'm New Here!

I think I will keep it. I was thinking about a twenty gallon just for the rare chance that it might be male and need a bigger tank. i have a really strong light that gives off a lot of heat, would that be good enough to keep him warm through th night? my house is always cold.

Forum Moderator aSnakeLovinBabe's Avatar

at 7 inches, it is already almost an adult! He will need to eat some slugs or cut up earthworms a few times a week to stay healthy. They should always have plenty of places to hide and always a water bowl with fresh water. Snakes, especially little ones, will drink every day.
    Mother of many snakes and a beautiful baby girl! I am also a polymer clay artist!

Steve is a "snake guru" He has a bunch of baby dekayis. As he said, water & hides are always appreciated. Mine does like to climb in a plant as well.

I think females will be bigger than males. But these kind don't get too big from what I understand.
    Le Ann

"Preparing For First shed"

my dekay snake only took earthworms for me when I had her.

If it isn't too late in the year, you may want to have a run looking for earthworms after a good rain, put them into a large planter full of dirt and throw in some leaf litter for them to eat.

My dekay snake would often take earthworms longer than she was. Pretty cool to watch actually.