Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hi, I'm New Here!

Garter not eating

I know it's normal for them to sometimes go off their food, but my red sided garter seems to have suddenly become frightened of his

I changed him from pinkies to fuzzies and he was taking them well, but suddenly stopped. I tried to introduce the fuzzy gently with the forceps, but he would run away.

I have changed him onto pinkies now. At first, he seems interested and comes across to smell them (tongue going crazy), but he then loses interest and goes off. If I try to introduce it again, he heads for his hide. I know they're stimulated by movement, so I try to make it look like it's alive, but just gently, I don't shake it around. I even tried zombiefying one, but he rejected that one as well.

He ate about a month ago.

His viv is clean and he's in very good health and keeps coming out and inspecting the place and sits looking at us. I handle him occasionally, but not excessively as he doesn't like it as much as the cornsnake.

What should I do? I'm worried that he's gone off mice and I don't know what else to feed him.

"Preparing For Fourth shed" snake man's Avatar

Re: Garter not eating

Try something else I would say.

Hi, I'm New Here!

What would be best to try? We can't feed live food in the UK. Organic fish perhaps? What kind?

Smells Like Teen Spirit Invisible Snake's Avatar

Try to feed him live fish like guppies and if he takes them, the next feeding you should scent the pinkies with guppies or another fish.

Also try earthworms or night crawlers from your yard, assuming no pstricides or herbicides are used... chemicals are a big no-no.
    Chantel
    2.2.3 Thamnophis ordinoides Derpy Scales, Hades, Mama, Runt, Pumpkin, Azul, Spots
    (Rest in peace Snakey, Snap, Speckles, Silver, Ember and Angel.)

Most Red Sided gaters(T.s.parietalis) love their night crawlers.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

Hi, I'm New Here!

What's a night crawler?

We can't buy guppies to feed snakes in the uk, it's illegal.

I could scent the pinkie mouse with some salmon, would that help?

Smells Like Teen Spirit Invisible Snake's Avatar

I think you can scent the pinkie with the salmon, also if guppies aren't an option then take a look at the forums caresheet which lists other safe fish to feed your snakes.

And I think you guys across the pond call nightcrawlers lob worms, but don't quote me on that cause I'm not 100% sure.

Hi, I'm New Here!

Off to dig up worm now

"PM Boots For Custom Title" chris-uk's Avatar

I use decent Scottish salmon or trout. If you want to try worms go to a fishing shop and ask for a tub of lob worms.

BTW it's not strictly true that feeding live fish is illegal, what is illegal is causing unnecessary suffering to an animal. In the case of a carnivorous animal that will not take pre killed prey it's a grey area. Not feeding the snake would be causing unnecessary suffering to the snake, it naturally eats fish, so there is some defence. I don't believe a case has gone to court where the live food was necessary to prevent any animal from starving. More to the point though, you can't walk into a shop and buy feeder guppies...
    Chris
    T. marcianus, T. e. cuitzeoensis, T. cyrtopsis, T. radix, T. s. infernalis, T. s. tetrataenia