Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Breeding Advice

Breeding Advice

Hey guys, as some of you may know, I am fairly new to breeding garters. What steps (after coming out of brumation) do you guys take to get them breeding? How long does it take them to breed after taking them out of brumation? I hope that this thread helps me personally, as well as people who want to breed garters next year. Any and all advice will be appreciated, please advice only, discussion is discouraged.
    -Greg
    1.1T.s. concinnus, 1.1 T.s. parietalis, 1.0 T.s. semifasciatus, 0.1 T. radix
    "Garters are predictable. Predictably variable" - Neil Balchan

Re: Breeding Advice

There is no set time for any of this. Nature will take its course. I've had males lockup with females a few minutes after placing them together. Then its taken a few weeks and on some occasions it never happens. Nature will do what nature does.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

"PM Boots For Custom Title" d_virginiana's Avatar

Might depend on how horny they are lol. My 12 year old male that's never mated before starts putting the moves on my female after about 30 seconds, even without being brumated. Once or twice he's tried courting what was apparently a very attractive cage decoration
    Lora

3.0 T. sirtalis sirtalis, 1.1 T. cyrtopsis ocellatus, 1.0 L. caerulea, 0.1 C. cranwelli, 0.1 T. carolina, 0.1 P. regius, 0.1 G. rosea, 0.0.1 B. smithi, 0.1 H. carolinensis

"First shed In Progress" woody44's Avatar

My vagrans were locked up within 5-10 minutes

It's been 3 days since they came out. No lockups, no copulatory plugs . I hope mine breed. I am really nervous.
    -Greg

Chill out. It's got nothing to do with you. Give them some time and space.You don't watch them 24/7 so it might have happened already.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

Thanks, Steve! Anybody got any other post-brumation advice?
    -Greg

Forum Moderator aSnakeLovinBabe's Avatar

Greg.... did you give your snakes hides like Neil told you to? The last I talked to him, he showed me that you weren't wanting to provide them with cage furniture for fear of them not focusing on breeding. Breeding shouldn't be your primary motive... it's just icing on the cake and good husbandry is what makes for happy snakes. No happy snakes, no babies.
    Mother of many snakes and a beautiful baby girl! I am also a polymer clay artist!

Banned

What snakes are you trying to breed? I've never had concinnus' or northwesterns breed right away after brumation anyway. I'm sure it happens but it hasn't happened to me. It usually happens in the days following the female's post-brumation shed. It's actually quite typical for my snakes to breed 3-6 weeks after coming out. Here in the wild, sometimes I see breeding / courting right away and other times I see them breeding after they've been out for a month.

Be patient. Fact is, it could happen anytime in the coming months. Usually after the female sheds. Could just be she needs more time to produce viable eggs before becoming receptive and sometimes they just skip years.

Quote Originally Posted by aSnakeLovinBabe View Post
    Greg.... did you give your snakes hides like Neil told you to? The last I talked to him, he showed me that you weren't wanting to provide them with cage furniture for fear of them not focusing on breeding. Breeding shouldn't be your primary motive... it's just icing on the cake and good husbandry is what makes for happy snakes. No happy snakes, no babies.
    That wasn't necessarily the case. I didn't want to restrict any room for them, and feared that if they didn't have enough room they wouldn't breed. And to answer your question, yes I have hides in the cages. I know garters LOVE hiding and that it is one of the most important parts in successfully keeping garters.
    -Greg