Thread: identity crisis

Hi, I'm New Here!

identity crisis

hello everyone, I am having a difficult time identifying this garter snake. A school mate of mine purchased this very cute little guy from a local pet store and was labeled "Canadian Garter snake" and "Thamnophis spp." under the common name. we were trying to key out what the exact species is however we are having a bit of trouble since our background is with different Boa constrictor spp. He is 61 cm long and weighs ~51 grams. The main problem is the dorsal stripe, or lack there of. He has two that run just lateral the spinal column. His coloring is black with dual orange/gold dorsal stripes, his belly is a cream color with black triangles on each ventral scale. His anal scale is split and I really couldn't count the sublabial/supralabial scales because of the stripping on his face but it seems that he has between 8-10 for each (I know thats little help), also his mid-body scale count is between 18-20. I have some pictures that I wanted to add to this message but they are to big and I don't know how to format/make them smaller to attach. if you want the pix email me at clown.8@gmail.com and I will send them to you so you have a better understanding on what I am saying. thanks for your time.

Ryan..

Re: identity crisis

I'm just taking a wild stab in the dark here, but do a forum search for the name "Xenochrophis" and tell us if it even comes close.

Have to agree with Stefan, sounds like an Indonesian garter (Xenochrophis sp.) to me as well. It probably came into the store as a "garter snake" so that's just what they sold it as. "Canadian garters" are most often T.s.parietalis...they're very commonly sold in pet stores, but your snake sounds nothing like them.
    Roy
    Roy
    0.1 T.s.pallidulus

Dutch, bold and Thamnophis-crazy Thamnophis's Avatar

Mail me a picture and I will put it on the forum.
    It is always advisable to be a loser if you cannot become a winner. Frank Zappa

Hi Ryan, and welcome to the forum. I concur, it sounds like Xenochrophis. As always, a picture would help.
    James.

I don't think they're Xenochrophis, because their bellies should be black and white, like this

I did have a couple of garters a long time ago that fit your descriptiun and I'm sorry to say I don't know what they were

oh, and welcome to the forum
    rhea
    "you cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus" Mark Twain

Subadult snake

Rhea ... how are those working out for you ?? What is their disposition like ?? They look terrific btw ...

marian

Hi, I'm New Here!

Thanks everyone, Xenochrophis vittata is exactly what he is, actually she is. Now that we know what she is I cal help my friend set up the correct environment for her. I was having such a hard time figuring out what she was because I was looking only at Thamnophis instead of other genera. I am actually going to go to the pet store and inform them of their mistake, maybe they will actually change the ID card.

Ryan..

Ryan,

Their common name is "Indonesian garter snakes," but they're not technically even garter snakes. They're keelbacks, and they're certainly not Canadian .

Rick

the ones I got are wonderful in terms of personality
    their health is shaping up as well
    rhea
    "you cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus" Mark Twain