Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: baby snake

baby snake

so i got a new snake today and it keeps moving around the tank upside down is this common what is it and is there anything to help ive never seen a snake do this before14359836_1105475082834147_1605653324_o.jpg14360284_1105475086167480_1674802871_o.jpg
    Last edited by gartergabe; 09-17-2016 at 02:43 AM.

Adult snake

Re: baby snake

Definitely not normal, possible neurological or dietary. I would isolate the snake till a cause is found. If it is some kind of parasite infestation.
    Last edited by indigoman; 09-17-2016 at 06:46 AM.

Give us some history on the snake? What has it been fed? There might be a snake mite issue, best to check for that. Move it far away from any other snakes.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Albert Clark's Avatar

Was this a wild caught individual also or captive born and bred? The first thing that comes to mind by looking at the pics is a thiamine deficiency. But the history is the key.
    Stay in peace and not pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by Albert Clark View Post
    Was this a wild caught individual also or captive born and bred? The first thing that comes to mind by looking at the pics is a thiamine deficiency. But the history is the key.
    I too thought about a possible B1 problem. If he knows about the diet that should give us some evidence.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!

I have no history on this snake I acquired it yesterday morning and it was doing it as soon as I took it out and put it in a tank I didn't think anything of it until everytime I checked on them it was doing this I'm not sure if it was dehydrated form the move or I was scaring it into a seizure or something but since then it has fed and drank water all infront of me and still continues to do it so I don't kno what's going on it is captive breed I kno that fersure and I was sent two pairs and this is the only one out of the four doing so I'm not sure if it was feed gold fish or what at this point I do plan to keep it and hope I can fix the problem but I'm still thinking it should be a pet only snake I don't want to pass this trait down if it has to do with the snakes genetics at all I talked to a vet so I might be bringing it in

An adult also sent to me witch I'm assuming here but I suspect to be the dad of the babies has a lump on the side of him when I asked about it I was told it was looked at by a vent and there wasn't any problem with it but was told vet could be wrong and after looking online last night I'm thinking its a worm in the snake I hope not cause the vet is charging 50 dollars upfront to see him and 45 per snake after the first one and I was sent 7 so I'm hoping there isn't anything wrong with the male but if so I'm thinking that's why the baby is acting case I have them all separated and away from the rest of my snakes I'm going to deworm at home on my own and bring the two with problems in and hope all works out

If you are not sure it is a worm I would not deworm. Che3mical treatments are risky in themselves. Posting a photo of the area will help us give some better opinions on what might be going on.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Albert Clark's Avatar

When you say you "acquired" them what do you mean and from where? That is important. Maybe the lump is just a blister?
    Stay in peace and not pieces.

from a breeder online name not needed but ill post photos in a few and i hope its a blister but it looks too big to me