Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Corn Snake

"Preparing For First shed" Edcase's Avatar

Question Corn Snake

I am considering possibly getting a corn snake at some point; but firstly would like to know whether they are similar to keep as garters, as in the temperatures they require, substrate and food etc, also is there another type of snake that is simple to keep and does not mind being handled etc. I only have considered the corn because of the many various colours and morphs which make them look really attractive and...Well cool

I also have another question about a vivarium that I plan to create from an old wardrobe which I have no need for...well in the sense of what it is supposed to be used for. The size of it is 59" High, 29 1/2" length and 18" deep, I was planning only to use about 30" of the height and use the rest as storage. Would this be a good enough size for keeping a snake in such as a corn, obviously I would need to create ventilation and change other things but I was concerned about whether the size would be too big or small or even if it is a bad idea all together.

Anyway that’s all, thanks for any help you can give

Re: Corn Snake

Temperatures and substrate, yes (room temperature). Their diet is limited to rodents (occasionally lizards and birds in the wild). Baird's rat snake is an alternative to corns. The down side to the different rat snakes, is that they aren't as active as garters.

The viv sounds okay, but I think it could be a bit wider. Then again, some people keep them in even smaller enclosures.

Edgy Exotic Reptiles EdgyExoticReptiles's Avatar

corn snakes are really pretty not as active as i would like, you should get a milksnake if you want something similar thats more active, my hybrid is great beacause its body looks like corn and its face looks like a milk and behaves like a milk
    and stefan nothings as active as a garter
    Email:reed@edgyexoticreptiles.com
    http://www.edgyexoticreptiles.com

Just a personal opinion here, joe..... Corn Snakes are undeniably beautiful, but they are also the single most boring snake in the world!
    James.

On one hand I don´t know where are more different morphs, in ball pythons or corn snakes, but both species are aktive like a chair by day.
    On the other hand it should be the right species for are colorful colection.
    Its a fact that they are easier to keep because they don´t need food so often and produce less feces.
    Allready waiting for the sommer
    best wishes bis bald Udo
    Breeding Redsides EGSA-Chairman

"Third shed, A Success" tikichick's Avatar

If you prefer a longer, slender build and bright color morphs that don't cost an arm and a leg, the corn snake fits the bill. BP morphs can be very expensive, so if you're wanting something different from an aesthetic point of view, go for the corns. If you want something different in shape, size and overall appearance, go for the shorter, stouter ball pythons.

I don't have corns, but I have several friends who do. Some are really sweet and others are little terrors. Most balls are docile from the get go. Corns seem to need a little more hands-on time.

The reason I don't have corns (besides the fact that no one's given me one yet, lol) is the non-feeders are so difficult to get feeding. If you get a baby, make sure it's feeding well on its own or be ready for a challenge.

Of what I've encountered, bp's are the most mellow, corns are beautiful and fairly active, milksnakes are even more active, and ringed pythons are downright aggressive (just got my first tag from one last week, lol).
    "Mai kolohe i ka mo' o o lele ka pali" -
    Do not bother lizards or you'll fall off a cliff.

"Preparing For First shed" Edcase's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by adamanteus View Post
    Just a personal opinion here, joe..... Corn Snakes are undeniably beautiful, but they are also the single most boring snake in the world!
    Really..well i dont really want a boring snake lol. I want something that doesnt mind being handled but is reasonably easy to keep. Ive also been told about Great plains rat snake??

Tikichick would keeping a BP in the tank i said in my first post be ok?? or would the width need to be bigger. What types of size vivariums do you have?

Quote Originally Posted by Edcase View Post
    Ive also been told about Great plains rat snake??
    It's a former subspecies of the corn snake. Very similar, except that it's not as colourful.

Never shed

I keep corns and they are a pretty easy snake to look after. Generally they are kinda reclusive, but it does kinda vary as some I know are quite inquisitive. Most are pretty easy to handle only 1 I know is definately aggressive and ondce they are used to it handlings easy and they generally accept it without a major fuss or musking.

"Third shed, A Success" tikichick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Edcase View Post
    Tikichick would keeping a BP in the tank i said in my first post be ok?? or would the width need to be bigger. What types of size vivariums do you have?
    A baby ball can start off in an enclosure the size you mentioned. The main things you'll need room for is a tight hide box and a water bowl big enough for it to soak in. If you get a male, they'll grow to a little over 3 feet. A female gets around 5 feet. They get really thick around the middle, so as they grow, the size of the hide box has to get wider and wider. So eventually you'll need something larger, but that's a good size for a little bp.

I've got my little bp, Fiji, in a 20 gallon with aspen for substrate (I put newspaper on top of it for feeding time), a ceramic hide, a little log, and a water bowl. I'm using a larger water bowl now, so it's not in these pics that I took when I first set up the tank.

Eatin' on newspaper. They're rodent eaters.

One of my fave things about bp's is they yawn for no reason (and of course after eating, too).

The only critters that have musked me are garters and kingsnakes. I haven't experienced that with corns or balls... yet, lol

I don't know how active you like your snakes to be... I like Fiji's laid back style. I can sit on the couch and watch tv and let him crawl on me and he'll usually explore a bit and then settle down and just hang out. Most of the corns I've handled have been actively trying to escape me the whole time, esp. the younger ones. It's like a corn snake would be equivalent to a feisty Jack Russell Terrier and a ball python would be a lumbering Labrador Retriever, lol.
    "Mai kolohe i ka mo' o o lele ka pali" -
    Do not bother lizards or you'll fall off a cliff.