Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sat. morning Vet. visit

After waking up the snakes down stairs I was checking on my female group of T.s.parietalis(Red Sided Garter snake). It was then I noticed one of my smaller females had what appeared to be a blockage just above he cloaca. It was very hard and I immediately call the Vet. It was one of those come now appointment times. I also took another snake I wanted advice on.
    Once at the Vet. it was decided a mineral oil enema would be the course of treatment. He left with the snake but returned a few moments later. He said the the blockage was too hard and that he didn't want to force anything for fear of damaging her. He felt the only things that could be done was to leave it alone, in which case he felt she would died or do surgery to remove it. I opted for the surgery which should be happening about now. I'll post results as soon as I know anything. She'll spend the weekend at the Vet's office.

The other snake I took in was one of my large rescued T.radix(Plains Garter snake) females from last year. Her name is River. I removed her from a yard where it was a "leave or die" thing. She was under weight and at first I thought she was a very large male. She has thrived on the Ranch but I've noticed as she's put weight on it seems to be only in the bottom 2/3rds of her body. A couple months ago I had her x-rayed. It was possible that she was gravid so nothing was done. Now, 2 months later things are the same. She feels blotted. She active, eating well and in all other areas a normal radix. My concern is that this is some kind of infection that will eventually take her life. He also doesn't think she is gravid and recommended a course of antibiotics.
    She's been place on Albon everyday.
    http://www.pfizerah.com/Product_Over...=EN&species=FL
    Here's a couple photos of my girl River. She has the biggest set of eyes I've every seen on a radix. I hope and pray she comes through this OK.

Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

Re: Sat. morning Vet. visit

Fingers crossed for your girls Steve.
    Keeping - 'Florida blue' sirtalis, concinnus, infernalis, parietalis, radix, marcianus and ocellatus.

Surgery has been postponed until next week. He said she's not handling the anesthesia well, probably due to stress. This will be a stressful weekend for me now.
    She doesn't have a name but I hope the best for her.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!

The blockage itself will be uncomfortable enough. Your vet knows best. Leaving her to settle for the weekend will hopefully do the trick.
    Keeping - 'Florida blue' sirtalis, concinnus, infernalis, parietalis, radix, marcianus and ocellatus.

"Preparing For Second shed" Snakeknot's Avatar

If she pulls through you'll have to name her...... uh what's the watch brand whose theme is "takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'"?

All my lucky healing wishes are winging your way. Get out your butterfly net.

Devon
    Tools are weapons. Weapons are tools. Both are dangerous in the hands of fools.

Banned

Provides a licking too.

Damn! those are big eyes. Wait... I hear something...

Ptttt!!

Oh, she's OK now. She just needed to fart.

No, seriously, you really go too far Steve. Surgery on a wild garter snake. A very common, plentiful garter snake. I admire your intention but I am afraid I would just let nature take it's course. I don't think we do them any good by saving the "inferior" one's so they can go on to breed.

You must have one heck of a cool vet. There's no way I could get them to treat a garter snake around here. Even if my vet (or any vet in WA) were willing, the bill for something like that would be in excess of $300. Money that could be applied to save soooo many more than just one.

However, that gives a me a feasible idea. There are people studying and whatnot, who are very qualified to perform such a surgery, have access to enough drugs and knowledge of anesthesia, (well, you get the idea) to right here at our local colleges. I think I ought to put feelers out and get a few on my list for just such an emergency. Once they become actual doctors, with a practice, they are sympathetic but can do nothing.

I wonder if she has a twist, tumor, or other abnormality causing her to be prone to blockage?
    Last edited by ConcinusMan; 05-01-2010 at 10:18 PM.

[QUOTE=ConcinnusMan;129031]

No, seriously, you really go too far Steve. Surgery on a wild garter snake. A very common, plentiful garter snake. I admire your intention but I am afraid I would just let nature take it's course. I don't think we do them any good by saving the "inferior" one's so they can go on to breed.

You must have one heck of a cool vet. There's no way I could get them to treat a garter snake around here. Even if my vet (or any vet in WA) were willing, the bill for something like that would be in excess of $300. Money that could be applied to save soooo many more than just one.
    QUOTE]

One day a man was walking along the beach when he noticed
    a boy picking something up and gently throwing it into the ocean.
    Approaching the boy, he asked, “What are you doing?”
    The youth replied, “Throwing starfish back into the ocean.
    The surf is up and the tide is going out. If I don’t throw them back, they’ll die.”
    “Son,” the man said, “don’t you realize there are miles and miles of beach and hundreds of starfish?
    You can’t make a difference!”
    After listening politely, the boy bent down, picked up another starfish,
    and threw it back into the surf. Then, smiling at the man, he said…”
    I made a difference for that one.”

It makes a difference for the ones I have.
    If they're in my care they will get care.
    It's the little things we do in life that make a big difference. My children are watching me and learning about care,concern and compassion. Watching my kids care for a downed bird or injured snake is worth any money I would ever save by not caring for these animals. Sitting and grieving with my kids at the lose of a wild anything is priceless.
    We're not rich in the sense of money but my family is rich in many other ways. This is the legacy I want to pass on to my children.

Steve
    5 awesome kids!

Banned

Admirable. You would have to be rich, but live poor to do that here! I mean, I think my vet bill for 4 pomeranians is about $1600 a year. For all the injured snakes I've seen, if I got them vet visits and treatment, the bill would easily be 10 times that.

Steve is a one of a kind, one of the best friends I have ever known, the world could use a few more just like him.

Caring for that injured snake was more gratifying to him than the steak dinner he could have bought with that money, so I say keep it up Steve.!

Banned

Oh, I know. I like him too. And he's definitely one of a kind. I just tend to say what's on my mind. That last sentence really confirms it. Giving IS a selfish act. Think about it. We give where it won't necessarily do the most good. We give in a way that makes US feel better. There is a reward.