Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Enclosure Don'ts

I thought a thread about enclosure "don'ts" might be wise, to save some people the hassle of finding out for themselves that somethings don't work.
    I'll get things started:

When using fake vines be sure to keep them a minimum for 4 inches/ 11 cm off the bottom of the enclosure. Otherwise, they will use the vine and leaves toilet paper. There will be skid marks all over the place Cleaning poop off these vines is a pain. Don't ask how I know
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

"PM Boots For Custom Title" chris-uk's Avatar

Re: Enclosure Don'ts

When you're using an ExoTerra viv, don't think the gaps around the background are tight enough that a garter can't get behind the background.
    Chris
    T. marcianus, T. e. cuitzeoensis, T. cyrtopsis, T. radix, T. s. infernalis, T. s. tetrataenia

Quote Originally Posted by chris-uk View Post
    When you're using an ExoTerra viv, don't think the gaps around the background are tight enough that a garter can't get behind the background.
    That goes for any enclosure or container. When I built mine I had to stuff foam insulation in any possible gap or crevice.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!

Juvenile snake

That goes for any enclosure or container. When I built mine I had to stuff foam insulation in any possible gap or crevice.
    Marine silicone works great for that too.

Something that I've had to frequently stress to new reptile keepers in my area is NOT keeping a snake, or anything, in an enclosure that is obviously too small for the creature. A friend of mine was keeping a full grown bearded dragon in a 10 gallon -.- I couldn't look at her in there so I gave him my old dresser-made-beardie-home. The lizard cost at least 4x more than the 10g, never mind it being longer than the tank.

Many people probably have different opinions or rules for this subject. For garters, I use length as a guide. I like to give atleast a foot of length more to the enclosure than the snake when possible. I more often than not have to compensate with width or height, usually width. If you can give a square floor, ie/ 2'x2', the snakes aren't confined to the option of one way and back again. My puget's are a huge fan of flying across their enclosure in random directions. When they were in a tank with a floor length 3 times the width, they were constantly smacking their heads off the walls trying to go forward or backwards instead of left or right. Using tanks that are impractically long compared to the width may not be a Don't, but it definitely keeps you watching your snakes be themselves more often if you equalize the length x width of the floor. I find my snakes are more energetic and interactive with me and each other if they have a larger horizontal distance to cross. Issues like space and finance obviously play a factor in this as well.
    Kephren J.
    2.4 T. ordinoides and counting. 2.0 T. s. pickeringii. 1.0.1 T. e. vagrans

Limbs? hmpph, who needs those!?

Number one "enclosure don't".......

Never turn your back while open.

Entirely too many escape stories all over the internet.

This recommendation is more of a enclosure maintenance item and I'm sure Wayne will substantiate its importance.

"NEVER LEAVE SHEDS IN THE ENCLOSURE"
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!

"PM Boots For Custom Title" d_virginiana's Avatar

Just wondering, is there something particularly harmful about sheds being left in the enclosure? Or is it just the common sense reason for removing them?
    Lora

3.0 T. sirtalis sirtalis, 1.1 T. cyrtopsis ocellatus, 1.0 L. caerulea, 0.1 C. cranwelli, 0.1 T. carolina, 0.1 P. regius, 0.1 G. rosea, 0.0.1 B. smithi, 0.1 H. carolinensis

Quote Originally Posted by d_virginiana View Post
    Just wondering, is there something particularly harmful about sheds being left in the enclosure? Or is it just the common sense reason for removing them?
    Wayne had a snake crawl back into a shed and it died.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!

"Preparing For Second shed" gibble888's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by infernalis View Post
    Number one "enclosure don't".......

Never turn your back while open.

Entirely too many escape stories all over the internet.
    +2 ..i customized my lid so it cant open the whole way wich makes it close automatically and also added weight to the lid so just in case i forgot to latch it the weight makes it harder/impossible to open. It might be a little harder to work in the cage but after losing a garter for a couple days its a good peace of mind.

"PM Boots For Custom Title" chris-uk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by d_virginiana View Post
    And how can you check that the shed is complete if you don't remove it? No point taking it out and putting it back again.
    Chris
    T. marcianus, T. e. cuitzeoensis, T. cyrtopsis, T. radix, T. s. infernalis, T. s. tetrataenia