Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Taming tips?

Question Taming tips?

Anyone have advice on how to "tame" a wild caught garter?

How many minutes per day and how often?

What do you do if the snake strikes, or if it tries to flee? If it seems stressed do you put it back, or does that reinforce the behaviour?

Do you wait until its out of its hide before picking it up?

Any advice greatly appreciated!

"Second shed In Progress" Millinex's Avatar

Re: Taming tips?

Honestly all I do is reach in and hold the snake firmly with both hands. The snake is worried about 2 things, you being a predator, and you letting the snake fall. Let the snake know you have him and he won't fall, but you are not hurting him. If they try to get away, continue to hold, most will calm down pretty easily, although I still have one very stubborn girl who is very skittish.

If the snake strikes, let him in my opinion. His bite won't kill you, it may hurt a bit but he will realize very quickly the bite didn't do anything and was a wasted effort.

Quote Originally Posted by Calift View Post
    Anyone have advice on how to "tame" a wild caught garter?

How many minutes per day and how often?

What do you do if the snake strikes, or if it tries to flee? If it seems stressed do you put it back, or does that reinforce the behaviour?

Do you wait until its out of its hide before picking it up?

Any advice greatly appreciated!
    I'd say work your way up from simply talking to the snake during feeding time to a little 5 minute daily handling to more than that. I've had some great success with talking to my snakes during feeding time.
    Once a day should suffice.

If the snake strikes, just hold still. Eventually, from here comes the fleeing response. Simply let the snake "walk/run" through your hands until it calms down.

If the snake starts to flail or writhe, I put them back. Running/striking, I keep holding.

I try to get the snake out of their hide before picking them up, but only if I'm working on taming it. Tame snakes just let you pick them up wherever they're at. :P
    0.1 Storeria dekayi
    Hoping to get some T. s. sirtalis High-Reds next summer!

Forum Moderator aSnakeLovinBabe's Avatar

the trick to getting a snake to trust you, is to earn that trust. I do that by letting the snake keep it's dignity when being handled and give him or her space if they need it. Instead of you holding onto the snake firmly, loosen up your grip and allow the snake to crawl on your hands and arms, don't ever restrain them unless it's absolutely necessary. It scares them and it makes them see you as a predator. I usually reach in and lift a snake up by the spot about 1/3 of the way down it's body, then gently lift up and slide my other hand underneath their back end. If the snake is really flipping out about being handled, I only hold it for a minute or two and then put it back. Even the most flippy snake will eventually calm down after a few weeks/months if you don't put forceful restraint on them and you allow them to be in control of their own movements through your hands. It might help if you have a container of worms handy. Every time you handle the snake, allow it to dig up a worm from the container. I find this to be a great technique to get the snake to associate me with good things instead of bad things!
    Mother of many snakes and a beautiful baby girl! I am also a polymer clay artist!

I use their natural curiosity as a tool. I reach in and just let my hand sit. They usually make their way out to check things out. As already said, talking to them gets them used to your voice or at least the vibrations. I used the same greeting with each enclosure. I call individual snakes by name as I touch them. Be patient. Put yourself in their spot, a giant reaching for you. I'd be worried too. Food is always away to instill trust. Hunger will win over fear in most cases. The taming should come at their speed.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Didymus20X6's Avatar

I seem to remember reading somewhere that, if you're worried about striking, just wear some gloves. Either some thick cowhide gloves, if you're worried about getting hurt, or some latex gloves if you're hoping to teach them that striking is bad. Or some really thick latex gloves, like the kind you can find at your local mega-hardware store.

I have found that the snakes I've caught will often strike at the Gopher, but if I try to handle them, they tend not to strike at me. I think it's because they associate the Gopher with the predator that caught them, and me as just a neutral object that was nearby when it happened. They'll squirm to try to get away from me when I'm holding them, but since I don't plan to keep them, I just let them go near a good hiding place.

Time and familiarity with the new captive routines will soon tame a new Garter down. Be patient with her.
    James.

ok first seal up all holes in house...let it run through your fingers at least 20min a day and dont yell hurt or make disguested faces at the snake when he dumps on u
    ROBERT The Reptilian Teen

"growing old is mandatory

growing up is optional "

"Second shed In Progress" Millinex's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mustang View Post
    ok first seal up all holes in house...let it run through your fingers at least 20min a day and dont yell hut or nmake disguested faces at the snake when he dumps on u
    The only snakes I've really had "dump on me" are the wild ones when I first grab ahold of them, they all seem to want to start flinging poop around lol.

I try to put the skittish ones in cages that have a lot of cover and hiding places, and are located in a place where the snake can observe us a lot
    when I do take them out, make sure there are no mammals around (particularly human and feline), so I can be very undistracted, and I use a lot of calming talk and humming
    I know they can't "hear" me, but I'm pretty sure they get some resonance from my body
    rhea
    "you cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus" Mark Twain