Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Identifying a Mixed Bag

I'm a novice hand at this, so I was hoping for a little guidance. If I posted photos of a mixed group of local garters that was dropped off on me, could I borrow your collected experience and brains on which is what and what is which? I can sex them just fine, but figuring out if these are all variations of the same species, or different ones is giving me a headache. Most of these are T. marcianus, but there's enough color variation in a few that I'm not sure about them.

Does anyone mind? If not, pictures will be incoming.

Re: Identifying a Mixed Bag

I would think it shouldn't be a problem.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

Sounds like fun
    Keeping - 'Florida blue' sirtalis, concinnus, infernalis, parietalis, radix, marcianus and ocellatus.

I'd love to see all the snakes and maybe I'll know one of them
    Chantel
    2.2.3 Thamnophis ordinoides Derpy Scales, Hades, Mama, Runt, Pumpkin, Azul, Spots
    (Rest in peace Snakey, Snap, Speckles, Silver, Ember and Angel.)

Okay, there were ten garters in this bag (and a pair of really cute water snakes), and I've divided them up into three different combinations. I'm only showing a few examples of each, or in the case of one, just one. Allow me to preface this by saying that a guy who loves herping (but not keeping) handed them off to me. I'd herp myself, but I can't go out into the heat without getting sicker than a dog...hooray unknown autoimmune disorders.

The lighting is bad because of a damaged camera. It's hard to tell, but I had two bright lamps on the snakes to try and get their true colors, but it didn't work. I'll put a brief description up of each in the hopes of giving you more information.

#1) Male - With amazingly dark pigment, a rich chocolate brown with an almost pink to melon stripe down the middle.

#2.) This female is of the same length and color, chocolate with a melon stripe, however her pattern is considerably darker than the male's. They look like broodmates and were captured in the same place.

#3.) This is a large, bright green female with a dusty yellow stripe. T. mauricanus I'm pretty certain, but want to double check her. Observation: In handling her (she is definitely NOT a lady), I can feel lumps in her length - either she's eaten recently or she's gravid.

#4.) This medium sized male is light, dusty brown with a beige stripe. Very mellow to handle, immediately ate from my hand, so I wonder if he's sick or something.

#5.) This is my favorite little guy in the bag. Male, with a scarred up tail. (There's a little knob of exposed bone at the end that's healed over.) Very bright green-yellow in places, gray-green/granite in a few spots. His stripe is bright white/yellow. About an inch behind his head there's a noticeable break in his pattern where a gray-green splotch has come up...not sure if it's a scar or what.

Anyway, thanks for your help in advance. If you need different angles, let me know, I'll try to wrangle the snakes into posing for them.
    Last edited by Fishsticks; 09-30-2010 at 02:22 PM. Reason: Added numbers to the snakes for purposes of questions.

they all look like marcis to me
    the colouring can range from green to brown to black, on a greenish, blondish, off-white to white background; and the dorsal stripe from white or wheat, to yellow, salmon, or neon orange
    rhea
    "you cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus" Mark Twain

I'm no expert with those but I would have to agree with Rhea, they all look to be the same species and a lot of them seem to be pretty variable to it comes to no surprise that they all look kind of different

And to add, some snakes are very mellow and will eat from your hand, when I got my concinnus, they were CB but they were extremely nervous after being in a box for a long time but the male(Ember), while being pretty skittish at first, ate right out of my hand not even 30 minutes after I got them.
    Last edited by kibakiba; 09-30-2010 at 03:00 PM. Reason: Spelling mistakes and added info.
    Chantel
    2.2.3 Thamnophis ordinoides Derpy Scales, Hades, Mama, Runt, Pumpkin, Azul, Spots
    (Rest in peace Snakey, Snap, Speckles, Silver, Ember and Angel.)

All beautiful snakes!
    Le Ann

"Research shows that if you're afraid of spiders, you are more likely to find one in your bedroom. I'm really afraid of Johnny Depp."

I would concur with Dr. Rhea.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

Thank you all so much for your help. ^_^ It's amazing how much variation can exist within a single species. Win.