Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

A few interesting feeding observations...

Well, seeing as I've been getting my snakes ready for brumation, I've been cramming them full of food. Some of the ladies, however, the red-sided and the butlers, were being a tad picky. The butler's only took nightcrawler's every once in a while; she was looking a little thin. The red-sided's a consistent feeder, but indoors she was being a bit of a prick.
    So, my friend and I, (person365) broke open his compost heap and grabbed a bunch of worms. Most of them were much smaller than nightcrawlers, but there were a few that were as big as, if not bigger than, crawlers but had a different color and "Shape." She immediately took to these.
    This was all after the initial feeding frenzy that occurred at around 4-ish. (Mostly my easterns eating.)
    So as I was feeding the butler's, the red-sided showed a little interest in the worms and pinkies I had. She's shown no interest a few hours ago.
    Within minutes she had eaten a worm, a chunk of worm or two, and 4 pinkies.
    I'm thinking that these may be helpful tips for stubborn/non-feeders:
    -Try feeding more towards dusk, when the snakes would naturally be hunting.
    -Try to offer a variety of each food item. Instead of tilapia, try salmon, instead of nightcrawlers, try dew worms, etc.
    0.1 Storeria dekayi
    Hoping to get some T. s. sirtalis High-Reds next summer!

Re: A few interesting feeding observations...

dew worms????? got a pic of them??? hopefully you aren't getting red wigglers.... we have small worms here that are pink and don't have the purple head like the nightcrawlers.....lot smaller...my snakes love them!! I have had a lot of luck using worms with non-feeders. all my adults are off feed for the 2nd week...one more week and off to the garage!!!!

Forum Moderator aSnakeLovinBabe's Avatar

my adults are starting to go off feed too and its ANNOYING!! Kyle... if those radix you sent me do not eat saturday when I come home from the show with fresh pinkies and other goodies... they are going into brumation! The female kept sniffing all the food I offered her like she was gonna eat it... then turned up her nose!!!
    Mother of many snakes and a beautiful baby girl! I am also a polymer clay artist!

Quote Originally Posted by aSnakeLovinBabe View Post
    my adults are starting to go off feed too and its ANNOYING!! Kyle... if those radix you sent me do not eat saturday when I come home from the show with fresh pinkies and other goodies... they are going into brumation! The female kept sniffing all the food I offered her like she was gonna eat it... then turned up her nose!!!
    well...you can send her to me!!!

Forum Moderator aSnakeLovinBabe's Avatar

lol.... shes naughty... but i do like her!!! she's got spunk and she's so curious!
    Mother of many snakes and a beautiful baby girl! I am also a polymer clay artist!

Dew worms are just what I call the worms I dig up... My friend and I simply name them either garden, dew, nightcrawler, or Canadian nightcrawler.
    0.1 Storeria dekayi
    Hoping to get some T. s. sirtalis High-Reds next summer!

All of my garters and ribbons refused food on Wednesday-- every one! That hasn't happened to me before. Tis the season, I guess!
    Lori, New Hope Rescue-- rescuing equines and others
    www.newhoperescueva.com

It's all about the Fuzzies jitami's Avatar

It is annoying... Sly has been a pain for the last two weeks, eventually eating, but not without much effort on my part! Then yesterday one of the babies, Frack, turned down food.. WHAT??? He's always been a little more finicky than his brother, but has never totally skipped a meal. I'm getting to offer him food again in a few minutes. Their tank got pretty chilly(into the mid 60's cool side) overnight despite having a heat lamp on. Right now they have a heat mat and two lamps to warm them up. We're up to 78/74 and climbing a bit. I'm going to have to buy some additional heat for the adults tho... sigh... I'm really trying to keep the adults, who are wild caught, from self brumating.
    Tami

Oh. Because you know, it seems to me that, aside
    from being a little mentally ill, she's pretty normal.

Quote Originally Posted by jitami View Post
    It is annoying... Sly has been a pain for the last two weeks, eventually eating, but not without much effort on my part! Then yesterday one of the babies, Frack, turned down food.. WHAT??? He's always been a little more finicky than his brother, but has never totally skipped a meal. I'm getting to offer him food again in a few minutes. Their tank got pretty chilly(into the mid 60's cool side) overnight despite having a heat lamp on. Right now they have a heat mat and two lamps to warm them up. We're up to 78/74 and climbing a bit. I'm going to have to buy some additional heat for the adults tho... sigh... I'm really trying to keep the adults, who are wild caught, from self brumating.

that might not be possible...some will go off feed period....if mine od that and they aren't breeders I put them down for a month and bring them back out....stimulates the appetite...

It's all about the Fuzzies jitami's Avatar

Yeah, I've never been successful with Sly in the past, but he seems no worse for wear come spring. Since he did eventually eat this week I'm going to keep the temps up and see if I can get him to continue eating, if not, I'll remove all heat sources, but not necessarily chill them... I just don't have means to. This has worked for him in the past so we'll have to see. If Ella keeps eating I'll move one of them to another tank and continue to keep her warm.

This little cold spell really has me struggling with temps, tho. The heat pad alone is keeping the babies' 20L at 93/71. Nice gradient, but too warm on the hot side? Of course, the thermometer on that side is down in the substrate so maybe the actual air temp isn't too bad? Right now, yesterday's eater is curled up in the log right over the heat pad(heat pad/glass/paper towel/1" thick wood/snake) and yesterday's non eater is way over in the coolest corner... dunno...
    Tami

Oh. Because you know, it seems to me that, aside
    from being a little mentally ill, she's pretty normal.