Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    "Preparing For First shed" taharial's Avatar

New babies, with still borns

Hi All!

I'm new to garter snakes. I found one that had an injury and was going to release it in a few days after I fed it. It shed twice since I found it, and looked heathy. Apparently it is a she, since she just had babies 15 minutes ago... WOW that was cool! I looked in the tank, and I thought she was pooping an orange sac... then came four babies.

Looking for a little help, one of the four started slithering around, the other three have not moved. I reached in the tank, and they are still warm. One is still in what looks like a thick caul/amniotic sac, and the other two are just laying there... One had it's mandible bent backwards, so I moved it and tried to put in a more natural position. What should I do to help them?

Sorry, did a quick google search and found this page, and wanted to get the question out before it is too late to help the little ones, they are so dang cute. I'll look around the page for info too.
    Thanks!

Re: New babies, with still borns

How are they right now?
    Kat
    2.2 T.s.pickeringii, 0.4.7 T.ordinoides 1.1 T.marcianus 1.1 T. radix 1.0 T.s.parietalis 1.2 Pseudacris regilla

One was moving a little, but did not make it. I tried helping the one in the amniotic sac, but while it was developing it's mouth was open, and was completely clamped around it's mid abdomen and what looks like the yolk sack... =( Sigh...

New question, I though mom was done giving birth, and got the mouse out of the tank... Now she is moving around, and it looks like she might have one more in her. Is this hazordous for her, or the unborn?

Could be. 4 would be a pretty small clutch. Pictures would be helpful. Where are you located? If you are in the NW it could be an ordinoides that used old sperm that wasn't as viable as it used to be, thus the poor litter quality. More info would definitely be helpful though.Location state and county, tank size and contents, and pics. Welcome to the best forum on the web.
    Kat
    2.2 T.s.pickeringii, 0.4.7 T.ordinoides 1.1 T.marcianus 1.1 T. radix 1.0 T.s.parietalis 1.2 Pseudacris regilla

Adult snake

She may not be done. I had a snake give birth to 1... and then 48 hours later, 14 more.

Are you talking about a live mouse? I wouldn't put a live one in. A dead one would be ok but if she won't eat it there's no point in leaving it there.

Stillborn babies are not uncommon. I don't think anyone knows why it happens so often, but some are just not fully developed. The ones that need help getting out of the sac usually don't survive anyway; it's their first test of strength.

Realistically, there's not much that can be done to help the weak ones. Move the healthy babies somewhere safe that they can't escape from and give a little water (not enough that they could fall into and drown; it happens). Start them on cut up pieces of fish or nightcrawler but monitor for food fights. It may take a week or two to get them all eating and that's pretty normal.

There's a care sheet around here somewhere that gives a good overview.
    Not that Steve, a different Steve

She is kinda small, but maybe it just seems that way since her tail is blunted. We are in San Mateo County, CA so I thought she was a SF or Coast Garter... She's just been in a 10 gallon tank since I was planning to release her once her wound healed. The only thing she will eat is live mice. She wouldn't touch the slug, spider, or fish I put in.

Looks like I have her and the baby a while until the baby is big enough to release. Should I separate them? I have some guppy fry I'll try feeding the little one.

Thanks for the help and info. =)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Good news for you it's not San Fran. Those are federally protected and illegal to even touch let alone have in your home. I'm going to take a guess and say she is a beautiful example of a Thamnophis sirtalis fitchi. Keep the baby warm, but not hot and on some most paper towels. Did the baby get their entire birth shed off? Be patient about them eating. Adult snakes take time to settle in and babies take time for their feeding switch to turn on. Their belly is full of yolk right now. For the baby offer foods like chopped night crawler or bits of talapia every other day until it eats, then offer small meals just enough to see a buldge in the belly every 1-2 days. They won't eat the spider so you can ditch that. Insects are not on their diet, as they can't digest the exoskeleton.I would suggest a vitamin/calcium powder to sprinkle on the food once a week until you have them on a well rounded diet with good variety.If you have any questions at all please ask, that is why we are here. Good luck and congrats!
    Kat

"PM Boots For Custom Title" BLUESIRTALIS's Avatar

Looks like a very nice red coast garter!
    Bluesirtalis

Quote Originally Posted by taharial View Post
    She is kinda small, but maybe it just seems that way since her tail is blunted. We are in San Mateo County, CA so I thought she was a SF or Coast Garter... She's just been in a 10 gallon tank since I was planning to release her once her wound healed. The only thing she will eat is live mice. She wouldn't touch the slug, spider, or fish I put in.

Looks like I have her and the baby a while until the baby is big enough to release. Should I separate them? I have some guppy fry I'll try feeding the little one.

Thanks for the help and info. =)
    Please explain "live mice"
    The care sheet is always a good read.
    Garters eat no bugs.

Garter Snake Forum - Garter Caresheet
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

Smells Like Teen Spirit Invisible Snake's Avatar

Congrats on the baby! You should separate the baby from the mom.