Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cut/sore

Hi, I'm New Here!

cut/sore

I don't really have a response but am not sure how to start my own thread.
    I was out in my yard earlier mowing and saw a garter snake right in front of my mower and picked it up as I didn't want it to get caught under the mower. As I was carrying her to the backyard (they go under the deck whenever my dog harasses them so I was going to put her back there so she would be safe) I noticed she had a cut not too far from her tail so i took her in the house and ran some lukewarm water over her and then put her in a bowl with about an inch of water in it and put her out on the deck. She climbed out of the bowl and slithered under the deck. I am hoping that since she was so active she will be all right, but if I see her again (and she's still alive) is there anything more I can do to make sure the cut heals?

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Odie's Avatar

Re: cut/sore

Hi, from Oregon, Wollfess
    That is about all you can do unless you want keep them/it, a small wound will heal normaly
    If you keep it Polysporen will do wonders

I have seen snakes in the wild that had healed from horrific looking wounds.

There is an older Eastern (Sirtalis Sirtalis) that moves through my back yard we named her "Scar" She is fully wild, and I have only picked "Scar" up a few times to check on her.

Oddly, no sightings of "Scar" this season, but for the 3 years prior right around mid July, "Scar" would show up under a sheet of plywood behind the barn.

Snakes are really quite rugged when they are healthy.

Hi, I'm New Here!

Hi Snake Whisperer,
    Your comment about Scar made me want to tell you about my resident garter -- she's been around every summer for the last 5 years and after the first year I named her Beelzebel (someone told me most garters are female so i couldn't name her Beelzebub). This is the first summer tht I haven't seen her -- I'm not quite ready to believe she's dead, kinda like as long as I don't see any evidence that forces me to face that I'll just go on believing that she's still around. I've picked up a number of snakes in my yard over the last 5 years and it's possible I've picked her up at some pt but I haven't in a number of years b/c she's just too fast in spite of her size!
    The good news is that I haven't seen the one I saw yesterday so I'm hoping that means she's ok, hopefully I'll see her again some time this week (but not 2moro as I have to mow the backyard).
    Wolfess

Welcome aboard.

Ok I am confused, Wolfess has a post count of 1, yet there are 2 in this thread just several posts apart?????

The real "first" post does not show up if I click all posts by Wolfess

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Snake lover 3-25's Avatar

lol o welll...............
    S h a n l e y
    1.3 eastern garters
    1 midland painted turtle
    1 bernese mountain dog
    1 half siamese cat

I thought software was "smarter" than that

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Snake lover 3-25's Avatar

lol guess not
    S h a n l e y
    1.3 eastern garters
    1 midland painted turtle
    1 bernese mountain dog
    1 half siamese cat

Hi, I'm New Here!

Ok, here's the deal:. Yesterday when I signed up I mistyped my name (notice that the first 'wolfess' is spelled woLLfess) both posts are from me.
    And I just got home from being out ALL DAY or I would've explained this sooner !

So I have a couple more questions ... how long do garters live in the wild (when Frodo is out there it gets pretty wild in my yard )? And, how big do they really get? I haven't seen Beelzebel all stretched out but I do have a skin that she shed last summer and the skin is over 3 feet and fairly wide but the last time I saw her she slithered away too fast for me to get out my yardstick and measure her.

Gotta go, phone's ringing.