Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hi, I'm New Here!

Post Can someone help me find....

I realize that these aren't exactly garter snakes, but I'm hoping someone here might be able to help me or at least direct me to somewhere that can.

I'm looking into getting two species of snake. I've called around to my local reptile stores and they're looking into getting them for me. The problem is that I'm having a hard time finding information on how to keep them other than just general care sheets. If anyone knows where to find either the information or the snakes themselves, I'd appreciate it.

The first snake is a rough green snake (Opheodrys aestivus). I don't care about which subspecies it is so long as I can get a pair of the same.

The second snake is an Idonesian garter snake or striped keelback (xenochrophis vittatus).

If anyone has any information that could help me, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Re: Can someone help me find....

Petco has been selling striped keelbacks labelled as 'Canadian garters', amongst other titles. Although you need to be aware of the potential parasite load, vet bills and feeding issues that may come your way. These will be wild caught and not best cared for by the company.
    Keeping - 'Florida blue' sirtalis, concinnus, infernalis, parietalis, radix, marcianus and ocellatus.

"PM Boots For Custom Title" count dewclaw's Avatar

There is an ad on Kingsnake for a rough green snake pair. The price may be a bit high, not sure. They are offered from time to time on Kingsnake from several different vendors. I haven't dealt with any of the vendors, so I can't tell you if they are good or bad....
    LeAnn
    "The early bird catches the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese."
    "Jokes are for kids, but puns are for the grown."

Hi, I'm New Here!

I am aware of the potential problems with these guys, but I'm not really sure what my other options are, in terms of a snake that will suit my needs. I don't particularly like dealing with wild caughts for more than one reason, so I've been calling around to try to find some captive breds. As for Petco, they're not the brightest. I asked if they could special order one for me (after giving several of the common names), but the manager insisted that all garters and related snakes are illegal in my state. I was pretty sure this wasn't true, but I double checked with my local fish and game office. Turns out they are definitely not illegal, nor are any species of Colubridae except the one that is federally prohibited.

As for the kingsnake ad, they're asking a bit too much. The one place that I found that says they can definitely order the green snakes priced them out at something like $9, sexed. But I do appreciate the info. Like I said before, though, I'm mostly trying to find more advanced care sheets than what I've already seen, which weren't really much at all...

I don't believe you will find any of those two snakes captive bred. I could be wrong though.

Hi, I'm New Here!

Pity. I was hoping to find some. Ah well. I guess maybe I won't be getting a snake after all. =o(

I'm sorry, why only the rough green or striped keelback? if you don't mind me asking.

Hi, I'm New Here!

I'm actually afraid of snakes... I like them, don't get me wrong, but I am afraid of them. I'm finally in a place where I can expand my collection (I keep geckos of varous species), and I thought I would try my hands on one. But it'd have to be small, easy-ish to handle, not horribly expensive, and (most importantly) it has to eat something other than rodents. The green snakes are insectavors. I prefer to rough to the smooth. The striped keelback can live healthily off of fish, provided you are careful about which kind to feed and you suppliment properly. As least, everything I've read about them says that. Hence trying to find a bit more information... Of course, if anyone has other suggestions, I'd be happy to listen.

We've had a few discussions here about both green snakes and especially striped keelbacks. They're anything but hardy or user friendly, especially the wildcaught ones that they sell in pet stores.

You're really limiting yourself with those requirements. I guess you could go out and try and catch a couple of ringnecks or rough earth snakes.