Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    "Preparing For Second shed"

Frozen mice = fail?? Thoughts please.

K so I have went out and purchased a pinkie for my new foot long wandering garter, and an adult mouse for my 28" female garter. Problem is, the new arrival is taking no interest at all to it. The female played with it tugged it around then just left it somewhere and went off. I had to retrieve both and they just aren't showing interest. I know the when I fed my female a rap pup she went insane and ate it but it was live. For some reason there is very little interest in these frozen rodents. I don't have any fish to scent it with either so I'm kinda stuck now. I don't want to waste 3.50$ and I want them to eat. Possible to feed live adult mouse to my female ? Will they harm her? I know the little one might go for live pinkies which dont bite back..

Re: Frozen mice = fail?? Thoughts please.

It was probably too big for her. My garter does the same when fed too large worms, just try to eat them then drop them off somewhere. I wouldn't feed an adult mouse to a garter since they aren't constrictors and it would be extremely difficult to kill without being injured.
    0.1 Jack Russell Terrier
    1.0 T. sirtalis

My garter can eat adult mice. She was eating full grown mice from the mouse traps when I had her a year ago and she was only probably >24". The rat pup she ate not too long ago, was bigger than this mouse. Any ways to kill a mouse from the store without making a mess other than co2? I don't wanna go refill my co2 tanks at the paintball store only to kill a mouse with it lol..

If a rat pink was smaller than it it must have been pretty small. I guess all the adult wild mice I've seen have been tiny, but I interpreted it as a big, store-raised mouse.
    @Lee: I'd freeze it or flick it in the face or something (I probably got that second one wrong). We all discussed it in a thread but I have no idea what it was called.
    0.1 Jack Russell Terrier
    1.0 T. sirtalis

Quote Originally Posted by abcat1993 View Post
    If a rat pink was smaller than it it must have been pretty small. I guess all the adult wild mice I've seen have been tiny, but I interpreted it as a big, store-raised mouse.
    @Lee: I'd freeze it or flick it in the face or something (I probably got that second one wrong). We all discussed it in a thread but I have no idea what it was called.
    Nono, the rat pink had fir and was about as long as an adult mouse, just was bulkier. The mouse in there now is a normal frozen mouse, from like gourmet rodent company or w/e. Got it at petco. I don't want to freeze the mouse I get live, I want it to never get cold, basically kill it instantly and that way be more fresh. Plus I don't want mice in the freezer.

Hi, I'm New Here!

The way I got my young garter to eat thawed pinkies was to put them in it's water dish along with a couple of live feeder fish. Once it starts thrashing around in the dish, it grabs on to anything. Now it will eat the pinkies without the fish being in there.

Could work, but only if the baby eats before the adult, I guess if I take the large female out while the young one feeds or put the young male in a seperate enclosure to feed with it might work.
    BTW, anyone ever fed lizards? Think my female would take a fence lizard if I got one?

Ok, just kind of picked this up from the discussion, but do you have your young garter in with your adult wandering garter??? This could be VERY risky....wandering garters are well know for feeding on other snakes...including other garters. It'd probably be best to seperate them and try feeding them seperately. For the adult, the motion of the live rat pup, probably did get her going to take it, but I wouldn't use a live adult mouse. There's always the chance it could injure the snake. I don't even feed my big PI kind live rodents for just this reason. If you keep the mice frozen, they'll keep for quite a while....so you could wait to get some fish to scent them with. I keep frozen mice for months (I buy them in large amounts) with out any problems. You could also use earthworm slime to scent the mice as well. Hope this helps and hope your little one doesn't end up becoming a snack!

Roy
    Roy
    0.1 T.s.pallidulus

Quote Originally Posted by GarterGuy View Post
    Ok, just kind of picked this up from the discussion, but do you have your young garter in with your adult wandering garter??? This could be VERY risky....wandering garters are well know for feeding on other snakes...including other garters. It'd probably be best to seperate them and try feeding them seperately. For the adult, the motion of the live rat pup, probably did get her going to take it, but I wouldn't use a live adult mouse. There's always the chance it could injure the snake. I don't even feed my big PI kind live rodents for just this reason. If you keep the mice frozen, they'll keep for quite a while....so you could wait to get some fish to scent them with. I keep frozen mice for months (I buy them in large amounts) with out any problems. You could also use earthworm slime to scent the mice as well. Hope this helps and hope your little one doesn't end up becoming a snack!

Roy
    Both are wandering garters, I'll be feeding the large female enough to keep her away from the male, whom I measured at nearly 16" (not exact). That live rat pup was the only live rodent shes had while in my care. Shes taken frozen a few times and WC dead before just now shes not interested. Could be the seasonal diet thing being talked about in the other topic. Plus, the S/O doesn't want mice in the freezer

oh those S/Os
    it's uncanny how many S/Os don't want rodents in the freezer
    it's always puzzled me and I've not had the courage to ask, but I must:
    what is so offensive about storing dead frozen rodents along with the dead frozen other animals (presumably beef, chicken, fish, pork, etc)?
    once they're dead, they cannot do offensive rodent things and once they're frozen they don't contaminate anything either
    so what is the problem?
    sorry about going off topic a bit here

i have not personally experienced any cannibalism amongst my charges, but I do make sure snakes kept together are roughly the same size
    rhea
    "you cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus" Mark Twain