Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hi, I'm New Here!

Unhappy my snake won't eat

I caught a 2ft garter snake about 2.5 weeks ago. after biting me once and smelling bad twice, she has become very calm and gentle. I would like to keep her for the rest of the summer before letting her go (I have a mini petting zoo, and it's nice to show the kids, and I like holding her) but I don't think she has eaten since I got her. First, I put a little dish with minnows in her tank, but she would spill the water and the fish would die and smell and she didn'e eat them, so after 5 days I took them out. I went to the pet store, and put her in with a mouse, and she didn't express interest, so the guy told me she probably wasn't hungry and to come back in 5 days. so I did, and I bought a mouse and brought it home. I offered it to her several times in her tank, but still no interest. I put some worms in, and she hasn't eaten them. can anyone tell me what i'm doing wrong and how I can get her to eat? should I just let her go now(I'd really rather not but I don't want her to die)?

Re: my snake won't eat

takes time for them to adjust to captivity....2 weeks is common....give her another 2 weeks, she won't die that fast, but if she hasn't eaten then, release her.....

As Don says, they often take a while to settle into captivity, so nothing to worry about there. I would suggest that handling her before she has settled in might not be such a good idea. I would give her some peace and some privacy, plenty of hiding opportunities and just keep offering food every couple of days.
    James.

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Snake lover 3-25's Avatar

you can also try some pieces of fish fillet... salmon trout or talapia all work great.... but like the others said don't worry, snakes are reptiles they can go a long time without food...
    S h a n l e y
    1.3 eastern garters
    1 midland painted turtle
    1 bernese mountain dog
    1 half siamese cat

Never shed

Have tried Salimanders that you would find under a rotting log or even a frog? I've never seen a wild Garter turn down the scent of them.
    DAVE

Forum Moderator aSnakeLovinBabe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thamnophis Man View Post
    Have tried Salimanders that you would find under a rotting log or even a frog? I've never seen a wild Garter turn down the scent of them.
    I second that one. Just make sure to look up the species so that you don't accidentally feed your snake a poisonous or endangered species!

Basically, refrain from handling her at all. Give her plenty of places to hide and climb. Give her a basking light... they loooove those. If she is spilling her water bowl, it's too small. Give her a larger, heavier one that's big enough for her to take a little swim. Offer her nightcrawlers, fishes, (NO goldfish) or salmanders/frogs as a first meal. Do not offer live mice... especially to a newly WC garter. They are generally unfamiliar with a live mouse and cannot defend themselves against it's bites. For a garter, I recommend frozen thawed mice only... none of my garters will even touch a freshly killed mouse... it has to be f/t. And preferrably wet. They like 'em wet!!
    Mother of many snakes and a beautiful baby girl! I am also a polymer clay artist!

"Second shed In Progress" Millinex's Avatar

I've had mine for a few days now, they take time to get used to everything and they do come around eventually, and when they get eating they are very hardy eaters, give her time, and keep offering, when she is hungry she will eat.

Safe foods to offer as a first meal:

slugs
    nightcrawlers
    strips of salmon
    strips of tilapia
    strips of trout
    frozen/thawed tadoles
    frozen/thawed frogs
    guppies in a water dish
    a frozen/thawed pinky that has been rolled in chopped fish from this list

UNSAFE foods to offer as a first meal:

minnows/rosey reds
    other fish containing thiaminase

Foods that garters won't eat:

pinky mice without scenting (some will learn to eat them after awhile)
    crickets, mealworms, any kind of insect

Give your snake another week, and if she is still not eating, find a herp vet and check her stool for parasites.
    KitKat
    "Acts of kindness should never be random."

I beg to differ on the unscented pinkies, KitKat! Or at least, I wouldn't just dismiss them without trying. If you've got frozen pinkies on hand, emilyruth (or can get them easily) you could try cutting one in half before thawing it, or at least cutting it open to expose the guts. Now, my Puget Sound garters are still babies, so it's possible there's a difference with wild adults who have already developed preferences. I wasn't expecting them to be interested in pre-killed prey, but mine went for quartered (lengthwise) pinkies with GUSTO, no scenting required. They seemed especially interested in the smell of the guts. So that may be something worth trying if it's hard for you to keep live worms, slugs, guppies, etc. on hand.

Oh, also, emilyruth... You said you caught a snake - how sure are you it's a garter snake? Because that could obviously affect what she will or won't eat. If you're not sure, you could post a picture and give your location or region of the country, and knowledgeable folks on this forum could probably help out with an ID.

I am not obsessed.... GartersRock's Avatar

KitKat, I have had plenty of freshly WC adults take f/t unscented pinks first try!
    Amanda Tolleson