Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Smile Newbie Help Please

K so I have a babie Common garter snake she is 9-12 inches long(hard to messure her) I feed her Slugs, worms and guppies and i have a few questions

1. how old do you think she is( based on her length btw she is about a wide as a pencil maby thicker is some spots)
    2.when can i start her on full pinkys(dont want to cut them up just seems nasty sory)
    3.when can i move her to a 10 gallon(shes in a 5 gallon)

Re: Newbie Help Please

1. someone else answer this, maybe six months? i'm still new to the garter world and not that familiar with growth rates on these guys.
    2. now. plenty big enough to swallow a whole pink. may need to scent it with worms or guppies if it's not interested.
    3. now if you'd like. make sure to have some hides.

hope that helps.
    mike

I would have to see a photo of the snake...will need to see one to determine what kind of snake it is...and a shot of the underbelly of the snake down near the bottom of the tail to determine sex. After we determine the kind of garter and sex, we may be able to take a guess at age. I would be careful feeding slugs...some can be bad for garters. Please take a look at our caresheet...it will help you with many questions you may have and in caring properly for your new snake. We are here to answer any questions the sheet does not answer for you. Garter Snake Forum - Garter Caresheet
    Marnie
    3.3 T.s.sirtalis 1.0 T.marcianus 1.2 T.radix 1.0 T.s.parietalis
    Izzy, Seeley, Ziggy, Perseus, Peanut, Snapper, Hermes, Sadie, Osiris, Seraphina, Little Joe

what marnie said. photos will help a lot more
    mike

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Selkielass's Avatar

If s/he is captive born, could be as little as a year. If wild caught, probably at least two years old.
    It depends on how small a pinky you can find- if you have a local supplier who sells extra small pinkies, she may be able to take them now.
    Look at her midsection- you want mice about that big around, or a bit smaller.

Cutting mice is yucky, but not nearly so bad ifyou cut them while still frozen.
    I have a knife and cutting board set I use only for snake food, and even tho its just a paring knife, pinky mice and even rats cut into quarters lengthwise pretty easily when just out of the freezer. Let them defrost in their serving dish.

My Checkered was less than 8 inches long when he started taking pinky mouse quarters. He only got 1/4 to 1/2 pinky at a feeding.

A picture of your little one would help a lot. A full body shot for identification and and under side shot of the vent for sexing. Also where you found the little one would be helpful for identification (state and county). As far as food goes, if you can find extra small pinkies that are about the size of your snake's head around, you can feed those any time you want. As stated above you may need to scent the pinkie with fish or worm for it to take them. With the tank, you can switch right now. Your snake would probably be very happy and comfortable on a10. Be sure you have a warm side and a cool side, several hides, an appropriate substrate, and a water dish. Welcome to the forum family!
    Kat
    2.2 T.s.pickeringii, 0.4.7 T.ordinoides 1.1 T.marcianus 1.1 T. radix 1.0 T.s.parietalis 1.2 Pseudacris regilla

No tank is really too big for a garter snake, they love to explore.
    Chantel
    2.2.3 Thamnophis ordinoides Derpy Scales, Hades, Mama, Runt, Pumpkin, Azul, Spots
    (Rest in peace Snakey, Snap, Speckles, Silver, Ember and Angel.)

I cant post any pics of her cuz my phone has a crapy camera but my moms friend works for the local fish and game and she said that it is female based on the size and shape of the tail and that it was a common garter ( the two species we have are common and western terrestrial ) she also said that she was less than a month old but she didnt know exactly

There are many subspecies if the common garter. If you can find someone with camera and post a pic, we can tell you what subspecies you gave if you want to know.
    Common Garter Snake - Caresheets
    If you can't get a pic, you can check out the link above and see if you can find you girl there. Hope this helps.
    Kat
    2.2 T.s.pickeringii, 0.4.7 T.ordinoides 1.1 T.marcianus 1.1 T. radix 1.0 T.s.parietalis 1.2 Pseudacris regilla

Kat is right...saying "common garter" isn't really telling you what kind of garter you have...that is the term used for the species of T. sirtalis, which has several subspecies. You may also want to have us confirm the sex. If you can borrow a camera from someone, take a couple of pics of her and one of her underbelly near the bottom of her tail and we can try to tell you subspecies and sex.
    Marnie
    3.3 T.s.sirtalis 1.0 T.marcianus 1.2 T.radix 1.0 T.s.parietalis
    Izzy, Seeley, Ziggy, Perseus, Peanut, Snapper, Hermes, Sadie, Osiris, Seraphina, Little Joe