Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paralyzed tail

Paralyzed tail

Our beautiful girl Blade has a paralyzed tail. She is having difficulty voiding because she can't lift her tail. She has some scale infection just under the vent that we are treating. She is still eating and drinking and active. She has trouble climbing and keeping her balance, but she tries her best. Has anyone dealt with this before? What did you do? What was the outcome? Any advise would be much appreciated! Thank you!
    Kat
    2.2 T.s.pickeringii, 0.4.7 T.ordinoides 1.1 T.marcianus 1.1 T. radix 1.0 T.s.parietalis 1.2 Pseudacris regilla

"PM Boots For Custom Title" chris-uk's Avatar

Re: Paralyzed tail

I'd say keep treating the infection, watch and wait.
    Is there much swelling around the infection? Could it be pressing on nerves?
    Chris
    T. marcianus, T. e. cuitzeoensis, T. cyrtopsis, T. radix, T. s. infernalis, T. s. tetrataenia

What are you treating with? Any chance we can get a photo?
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

"PM Boots For Custom Title" BLUESIRTALIS's Avatar

Are you 100% sure that there is not a partial shed on her tail that could be restricting the blood flow. I seen this happen with a friends snake before. Im with steve on this one a pic might help.
    Bluesirtalis

Here is her owie. We've been treating with antibiotic ointment after it's cleaned and dry. She definitely doesn't have a retained shed, we watch her very carefully.

IMAG1673.jpg
    Kat
    2.2 T.s.pickeringii, 0.4.7 T.ordinoides 1.1 T.marcianus 1.1 T. radix 1.0 T.s.parietalis 1.2 Pseudacris regilla

"PM Boots For Custom Title" BLUESIRTALIS's Avatar

Strange! That just don't look bad enough to cause paralyzation. Does she have any feeling at all in her tail. Does she respond to you touching the tip of her tail. I hope this is something that will just clear up when the infection does. Maybe it's from the swelling and the infection.
    Bluesirtalis

Have you tried doing betadine soaks? I've heard Steve recommend them. He can tell you how to do them.
    Marnie
    3.3 T.s.sirtalis 1.0 T.marcianus 1.2 T.radix 1.0 T.s.parietalis
    Izzy, Seeley, Ziggy, Perseus, Peanut, Snapper, Hermes, Sadie, Osiris, Seraphina, Little Joe

I make a warm weak tea looking solution betadine/water. Soak the tail area for as long as you can. That is as long as the snake will allow.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

"PM Boots For Custom Title" chris-uk's Avatar

When you say "paralysed" - is that there is no movement below a point, or that the tail has reduced movement? A reduction in movement could be due to the swelling, if there is a clear cut off point with absolutely no movement it's worth considering that it may not be related to the infection, or is possibly another infection pressing on the spine.
    Chris
    T. marcianus, T. e. cuitzeoensis, T. cyrtopsis, T. radix, T. s. infernalis, T. s. tetrataenia

I didn't think I needed to start my own thread for this but I recently was putting one of my 2012s in a feeding container and not thinking looked away and started to close the lid. The tail got stuck in the lip of the container and caused what looks like a blood blister. I have been monitoring him in a separate container and unlike this case he has full control/movement of his tail. Will try to get pictures of before and after. I can't imagine that he won't just shed it out. These guys are just too fast for me sometimes haha.
    Tyler
    www.checkeredgarter.com